Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Food glorious food!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Mmmmm.....let me see

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.

Mince pies with brandy sauce.

Turkey with sprouts, and all the trimmings.

What do you want to eat this christmas? Will you be traditional...or you having something else....

Just the two of us for christmas and the first one together after getting married in September. I am really stuck for ideas....do I have a turkey? or do I have something more adventorous?
Any suggestions...?

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Absolutely everything in sight and plenty of alcohol too.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We're having a Turkey crown for xmas this year. My sister is cooking it for us...so a no hassel xmas for me :thumb:

We will prob have, roasts, veg (carrots, parsnips, sprouts etc), sweet potato mash (well I will any way I'm not keen on roasts), gravy, bread sauce, stuffing, pigs in blankets.

They will all probably have xmas pud and brandy sauce for afters, I hate xmas pud tho it's horrible so I'll give it a miss!

I love boxing day more when you have a little buffet with vol au vonts (sp?!) and other buffety typ yummyness!

Is it right to have yorkshire pudding with your xmas dinner, or is it just a sunday dinner thing? And should you have it with all meat or just roast beef? See I think it's okay to have it with xmas dinner but my sister thinks it;s just strange :chin:
    JsT wrote: »

Ha exactly my thinking.

I am going from the scummy south to the wonderful north to be home for christmas so the first meal I shall be having as my christmas-and-hometown-visiting celebrations will DEFINATLY be chips and gravy from the chippy.

Then I plan to each yummy christmas dinner, then turkey and chips on boxing day. And loads of chocolate and drink lots of vodka and archers.

And then I shall roll out of bed and book myself an extra seat for the train home because I will weigh about 30 stone.

:thumb: I'm looking forward to it.
    Curry. Family tradition. :yum: I'll get a proper roast when my brother comes down to visit.
    Homemade sausage rolls and stuffing balls. :yum:
    Curry. Family tradition. :yum: I'll get a proper roast when my brother comes down to visit.

You eat curry on christmas day :eek2:

That sounds nice! Can I have some? :yum:
    *Ashley* wrote: »
    You eat curry on christmas day :eek2:

Yeah. My mums working on Xmas day this year so theres no point doing a roast for two of us, espeically if we see relatives in the afternoon as well.
    Yeah. My mums working on Xmas day this year so theres no point doing a roast for two of us, espeically if we see relatives in the afternoon as well.

How can someone even contemplate eating anything but roast turkey and the trimmings on christmas day? Would just feel wrong!!!

I think if there was just the two of us I would probably book a nice table somewhere - don't even have to bother cooking it then!
    *Ashley* wrote: »
    How can someone even contemplate eating anything but roast turkey and the trimmings on christmas day? Would just feel wrong!!!

I think if there was just the two of us I would probably book a nice table somewhere - don't even have to bother cooking it then!

Because turkey is rubbish! Roast goose all the way :D
    JsT wrote: »

Same here, minus the alcohol. No alcohol at my parents house. Dec 25 we have the big traditional meal with the turkey and the stuffing (best part) and the potatoes and cranberries and pie and all the rest.

But my real favorite is Christmas Eve.

Snacks galore. Crisps and dip, mini sandwiches and mini weiners, almond bark pretzles, cookies, mini vegi pizzas, the little dill and cuce sandwiches my grandma makes, cheese, meats and crackers, rolls and breads and more baked goods. Oh god I could just die right now thinking of it :heart::heart:
    I'm not sure what we're having this year yet! My dad will probs have turkey, and me and my boyfriend will have something veggie but I haven't decided what yet. We always used to have oatmeal stuffing and it was gorgeous but haven't had that for years!

Puddings are my favourite part of Christmas! We always had a trifle when I was younger, one with sponge and one without (I like without :)) Usually a chocolate mousse, sometimes a pavlova and always a fruit salad for the pretence of being healthy

I lurrrrrve mince pies, and Christmas pudding (only discovered I liked it last year :o ) Don't like Christmas cake though :no:

Lots of yummy alcohol too, as last year I was the designated driver for the whole bloody time :grump:

I'm very excited about Christmas!
    piecesofme wrote: »

I love boxing day more when you have a little buffet with vol au vonts (sp?!) and other buffety typ yummyness!

Hehe we do that to! Does everyone?! Ahh i love vol au vonts!!! Or is it vents?
    why not?

i cook a roast for me and my fella every sunday. theres only two of us! just cook less :p

i agree with ashley, i could never eat anything but a roast on christmas day!!!!!! and chocolate, hehe.
    I'm half Polish, so we do the two Christmases Christmas experience.

Christmas Eve is the Polski one (meat free!), with varieties of fish, pierogi, fancy Jewish bread (my Grandma used to be obsessed with Jewish bread, so it's kinda a tradition now, even though my family has no Jewish connections) beetroot soup and my uncle's incredibly sexy potato salad.

Then Christmas Day we go to my auntie's for turkey, chestnut stuffing (phwoar!), veggies and all the trimmings, and then puds, nuts and all the satsumas in the world.

And Boxing Day I normally invite myself to one relative's or another for leftovers. Gotta love a hat-trick of free food!
    my sounds you have lots over christmas olive...I did not have to cook last year but this year I will make it special whatever we have.
    Pizza with fruti di mare.

Very traditional.

:lol: Can't imagine what that would be, but it sounds like something Rubberskin would love to have.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    :lol: Can't imagine what that would be, but it sounds like something Rubberskin would love to have.

They're not as bad as they sound.
    cos i'm spain we'll be doing noche buena (xmas eve), and with goose, and loads of chestnuts, and anything and everything italian, so lots of prosecco and cava and panatone! but my request is sweet potatoes. its not xmas without them!

xmas day will possibly be having something seafoody...
    StrubbleS wrote: »

:)

Just me and Leigh this year so might see if i can find a small turkey crown or duck/goose breast for him. Made the cake last week and put so much rum in it it's singing bad karaoke and saying i'm it's best friend :) Making my own marzipan this year too as the stuff in the shops just isn't 'almondy' enough. Along with buttered sprouts with chestnuts and all the usual stuff.