Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

woolworths to talk about administration

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:(

I could not believe what I read across my screen this morning. Woolworths to talk to their bank about going into adminstration. I like Woolworths, they have always been a favourite of mine. Cheap toys, cd's, cards and other things. I hope that they do not cease trading... it will be very:( if they do. Is this the begining of the end for all business this year? I hope not. Who else enjoys shopping at Woolworths is this also the end of an era for the company? I really hope not.:(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was shocked :shocking:

That Woolworth's is still around, I thought it would have went tits up years ago.

Woolworth's has seen its market in everything disappear. Woolworth's no longer fits in with the high street of 2009. This is the fault of Woolies, fair and square.

I have no real affection for Woolworth's, it will go out of business in the next two weeks, I cant see anyone putting money into the business as an investment.

Another one bites the dust :thumb:
    wow, thats surprising
    The few times I go in. there's lot of space and staff, but very few customers. It's a shop of last resort for everything but pick 'n' mix
    Not that cheap for Cd's unless your looking through the bargain basement.
    Aww, I like it too. It's fantastic for kids clothes and toys. Also easter eggs at Easter and Christmas stuff at Christmas :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Problem is that its not 'good' at any particular lines of products so it just gets overlooked by shoppers constantly.

Its a shame its gone tits up but no surprise really!
    MY problem with Woolies has always been that it isn't actually that cheap, at least for what I'd be looking for. The only thing it was good for was buying games on the day of release when everyone else had sold out. They always had some because everyone else didn't realise they even had GTA IV or whatever for sale.

The general DVDs, etc, pretty much the same price if not more than everyone else with very little in the way of real of siginificant offers. Just always felt like a cheap shop that didn't bother selling anything cheap.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    For me, this is no real surprise.

Every single Woolworths I have been into in recent times is in dire need of a full reburbishment. They failed to modernise themselves when every other company was moving with the times. Unfortunately, I agree with the comment that they did this to themselves. They cannot keep going on pick n mix. They stayed in the early 90s when everywhere else moved with the times.
    Woolworths was great for buying chart music back in the mid 90s, along with Our Price.

The only good thing about Woolies now is that it still the main place to buy Cadbury's Créme Eggs. Last time I checked for créme eggs though (in early June '08), they didn't have any.
    Its a little suprising for me, I noticed a really big one close by shut down but as others have said it had more stuff then buyers. I feel a little sad because of sentimental value.
    Maybe we'll get something good on Braintree High Street now :hyper:.

Unlikely, though.
    Jim V wrote: »
    MY problem with Woolies has always been that it isn't actually that cheap, at least for what I'd be looking for.

Same here, I think everything is expensive, well compared to most cheap shops (Home Bargains;) ) I do like their kids clothes, and they are good quality, but they are rather highly priced!

It would be a shame if they went tho.
    i don't even think my local Woolies does pick 'n' mix any more :(
    im quite sad woolies is closing. where i come from, woolworths is the biggest shop. its fully refurbished too. its one of the nicer ones. really modern and stuff. our woolies does really well, tis always packed as there is nowhere else to really shop in our town.

my brother works their part time whilst at university so he is going to be really screwed if he loses his job because there are no jobs in the area. the nearest jobs are about 20 miles away :( feel really sorry for him as it took him a while to get a job there too and it isn't bad for a part time job.
    I'm not really surprised they seemed to sell everything and anything and be master of none - I'm sure the Start f the National Lottery and all those 5p they made on the sale of each ticket helped keep them going for a for extra years.

Oh I just remembered my favourite Back Scrubber is from Woolies, better buy a new one before it's too late .. :)
    i went to woolworths in brum today and it was full of people with armfulls of christmas stuff getting bargains quick, primark-style.

where will i go for my pick & mix now?
    :(
    where's that rach?
    Wilkos do pick n mix, never fear!
    sweet factory :p

:yes:

And you weigh it yourself, so you can cheat.

Not that I would EVER do such a thing, cause it's basically stealing :nervous:

not as good as woolies though :no:

you can get a massive tub for £2/3 or something like that in woolies :(

plus we don't have a wilkos here :(