Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dual Energy with Britsh Gas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We are changing to BG for dual energy and they have said we will be charged £67.50 for gas and £34.50 for electric. Is this about right or is it slightly over priced?

Comments

• Options
    For the last 3 months? That's pretty good - it's been cold so when our bill comes in a few weeks I'm expecting it to be a lot higher than that
  • Options
    per month that's probably about the same as ours.
  • Options
    Yeah that's for a month, though we have just signed up for Click Energy 6 which is sposed to be cheaper.
  • Options
    Go to uswitch.com or moneysupermarket.com and they have comparison charts which will give you the cheapest quote in a couple of minutes, all you need is your last bill.
  • Options
    I'm on dual-fuel with BG as well. I own a 1-bed house and my bills tend to be £30/£30 per month at Winter and £30/£20 per month during Summer - for electrics and gas respectively.
  • Options
    Sounds right!
  • Options
    my electricity/gas bill is £60 between two of us. we are paying too much too. our last quarterly bill came in at £115 for like 4 months!

im with edf energy.
  • Options
    This should be common knowledge, it's been on the news once or twice before but i still know alot of people aren't aware of it.

But all energy companies should be providing a "social tariff" which is a reduced tariff for certain sections of the community. These include the elderly, carers and people on other benefits.

I believe it applies to people regardless of whatever tariff they are on at the moment providing it applies to them, however i have only used it for my grandmother who is on a prepay meter (which is obviously more expensive anyway)

I rang up E-On who deal with her electricity, and the gent on the phone claimed he knew nothing about such a deal (NAME AND SHAME E-ON) I'll be ringing them again on her behalf in the near future to discuss this further.

Then i rang up British Gas who deal with her Gas, after getting put through to the wrong department, and then put through to the correct one (typical!) i explained my grandmothers situation and asked about this social tariff, she said they called it their "essentials tariff" and asked a couple of questions then set it up there and then for her, this reduced her rate from the prepay rate to be in line with their cheapest rate which is an online, paperless billing direct debit tariff, which was approx 30% cheaper!!!

Its a shame you have to ring up and ask for this, all the energy companies should provide the people in need with information about what they are entitled to, but still, these offers are there if you ring and ask for them, like i said they dont apply to everybody but thats not a issue. And i heard that all energy companies have something like this in place, however it seems E-On [staff] (Shame shame shame) are either in denial about it or unaware of it.

BG definantly have something in place anyway so anybody on the state pension, recieving various allowances, unemployed, disabled etc... and on BG give them a ring and see if you're entitled to something. :thumb: