Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Women, do you just assume a guy who doesn't approach isn't interested?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

Women, if guys don't approach you do you just assume they are not interested?

I've just read an article written by a guy which states the above. It also goes onto say how women simply don't realise how intimidating 95% of guys find approaching women.

Another point it made was that women like confident men and that by failing to approach you assume they are not confident?. Surely confidence is subjective. I mean, i have a mate who will gladly get up on stage and sing which is something i'll never dare do for the rest of my life. However when it comes to approaching women, i'm not aware he's ever approached ANYONE, where as at least i've done it on the odd occasion.

I'll admit i'm one of those guys who find approaching highly intimidating though, and if there's more than say two women together i'd never date approach.

Andy

Comments

• Options
    no
  • Options
    Hi

No? ...... What does that mean?

Thanks
    Andy
  • Options
    I asked 2 of my male housemates this yesterday and both said that they are far too shy to approach girls!
  • Options
    I suppose it might have to do with self-confidence. We do not all have confidence to say things, do things or even approach the opposite sex.
  • Options
    I don't assume the guy isn't interested but I assume he isn't interested enough.

I've been around a few guys I knew were keen but never said or did anything decisive enough. I'm probably harsh but it is a turn-off when a guy doesn't dare to approach me. It makes me wonder why he isn't if he's interested.

Sure it's a scary thing but I prefer self confident guys that reach for what they want. If *I* am keen as well I will of course somehow try to encourage those guys to approach me but if nothing happens despite that I drop it.
  • Options
    I find it really hard to just walk over to a woman and start talking to her.
    Id love to be able to do it whenever and wherever I want but Im too shy.:blush:
  • Options
    I think it's a bit hypocritical of women to judge men for not talking to them if it doesn't happen the other way around. If a guy i like doesn't come talk to me, then if I'm really interested, then I will go talk to him.
  • Options
    Andy_46 wrote: »
    Hi

No? ...... What does that mean?

Thanks
    Andy

it was an answer to the question
  • Options
    i used to aproach guys, and now i've had it backfire on me so many times i'm kinda of the opinion that if they like me enough then they will aproach me.

But, aparently i am the second most intimidating person i know, so its unlikely to happen with anyone asides good friends unless they are as brave as a medival night going to battle a dragon.
  • Options
    Hey
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I don't assume the guy isn't interested but I assume he isn't interested enough.

I've been around a few guys I knew were keen but never said or did anything decisive enough. I'm probably harsh but it is a turn-off when a guy doesn't dare to approach me. It makes me wonder why he isn't if he's interested.

Sure it's a scary thing but I prefer self confident guys that reach for what they want. If *I* am keen as well I will of course somehow try to encourage those guys to approach me but if nothing happens despite that I drop it.

Hi

So why do women come to the conclusion that if a guy doesn't approach, he isn't interested enough? ........ i'm guessing Cosmo ???

Andy
  • Options
    Hi

So why do women come to the conclusion that if a guy doesn't approach, he isn't interested enough? ........ i'm guessing Cosmo ???

Andy
    No..some women have their own opinions.
  • Options
    I do, but I have 0 self esteem. It is not just men either. I've always assumed if nobody directly talks to me they want nothing to do with me. Made for some horrible times when you had to do group work in school and partner work in sports :\

Does cosmo still exist?
  • Options
    Hi

Andy

yeah, bound to be cosmo
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    yeah, bound to be cosmo

And Dibbs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Hi

Andy

omg how did you guess?????:shocking: :shocking: :shocking:
  • Options
    Yes all girls' opinions are based on what's written in girls' magazines. That's where all my opinions come from... despite the fact that I think I've probably only read about five of those type of magazines in my entire life

:rolleyes:

Are all guys' opinions based on Nuts?

Back to the original question, I don't have much self-esteem, so like Simba, I find it hard to believe that anyone's interested in me (guy or girl, as a friend or otherwise) if they don't approach me. But I can imagine how scary it would be to "approach" someone you're interested in, like at a bar or a club. Usually, I just meet people through shared interests (like at a sports club) or through friends, so the approaching thing isnt really an issue. You just end up chatting to random people and see what happens. If I go to a bar or club, I'm there to hang out with my friends, not pick guys up.
  • Options
    I think he's trying to rationalise things obviously wrongly but understandably. People like to be able to put things in groups and boxes with simple and concise explanations. If you could say women think 'x' because of 'y' then it's nice, simple, and works. Just like people say men think about sex all the time because of their genes. An annoyingly simplistic and often innaccurate generalisation! (the proof it's wrong is the existence of asexual men!)

But the reality in all things regarding people is that we're stupidly (excessively) complicated. I think a lot comes down to how people believe they are perceived by others and you've had probably a common answer in this thread:
    I do, but I have 0 self esteem. It is not just men either. I've always assumed if nobody directly talks to me they want nothing to do with me. Made for some horrible times when you had to do group work in school and partner work in sports :\

Sorry to quote you simba, but I know plenty of people who are male and female who would relate to the above comment very much. But then again some people would be annoyed if you did approach them, even in a friendly way.

In conclusion, it's impossible to work out one way or the other because everybody is different, but I would say based on gut instinct - so long as you aren't creepy or stalkerish about it I think it's better to make your feelings known and take a chance than hold back and hope they'll make the first move. Fortune favours the bold!
  • Options
    I've approached women probably 3 or 4 times in my life, everyone failed.

I've never had a woman approach me directly, but they always seem to find a way of getting my number. I think if a woman likes a man then she'd be nuts not to do something about it, but I don't think many women like the direct approach.

Neither do I, that's why I love meeting friends of my mates girlfirends!.. always a way to get their number the next day :D