Home Work & Volunteering
Take part in our next Watch Club on 2nd Feb at 7.30pm. We'll be talking about the film In the Heights! Sign up to take part and receive your free NOW pass!
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Anyone is welcome to join. Sign up here

Job hunting joke

**helen****helen** Mod malarkistPosts: 9,235 Listening Ear
When I got my first part-time job it was a bit of a breeze - I went in, had a chat with the manager and she told me to come back for a trial day the following weekend and then I was taken on as a permanent Sunday girl. I'm well aware that it's rarely that easy though, as Rosie found out.

Can you relate to Rosie's experience?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope can't relate, ime part-time jobs are fairly easy to come by and the interviews have been pretty quick and informal.
    I can relate! Some job interviews are ridiculas (Ive had plenty)

I think being made to play silly games/do things is completly pointless and they should just give the potential employee a trial period as there is no way from an interview that they can pick up on how a person will react in a situation until they are dropped in at the deep end.

I can see why they make u do it.To see how u react in different situations/around different people. But imo it is completly pointless as people act completly different in a interview situation to how they would on the shop floor as many people are nervous/trying their best to impress.
    I wouldn't be surprised if in many cases those with those job application processes on steroids are done by big companies that have spent a load on developing this sort of bullshit. Or smaller that have copied the big ones thinking it's clever and efficient.

After submitting a CV online, last year I got asked to a short interview for a large company. We talked and it was nice and cosy, then later she got in contact and offered me the job.
    Another time I met up with an owner of a small wholesale company, we spoke briefly and then we shook hands and I was to show up on Monday. Nice and easy.

My biggest job hunting experience was to become an Air Traffic Controller. For that I required a CV, eye test and a recent criminal record to be considered, then I had a computer test, interview with a shrink trying to figure out if I was sane and a stress test to get on the course. Later on the company gave us another eye test and a complete physical. Then I got on the course and that was a whole different sort of rollercoaster. No school has ever made me cry like a baby before due to pressure. After passing all that, I had to do on the job training for a whole winter without getting a dime from the company until I passed my final test. Then I finally got a contract -no questions asked.
    It's however not a weekend job for me so the year and a half long process didn't feel too unfair (except being made work nights for no money :mad: ).

I however think that Icelanders are a nation of cowboys. We hate being made do unneccesary things and just want to do things our way.