Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Women wearing next to nothing - come and see it!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree with Namaste that it is sexist. I've never really understood the philosophy of "get your kit off for a good cause" - though (small mercies) at least this is not as jarring as getting your tits out for the victims of rape and torture (wahey!).

Of course campaigns and charities need attention grabbing tactics to promote their efforts, but on a personal level all I read into these calendars and contests and posters is that it's still alright to objectify women in 2008 as long as it's "for a good cause". How about the good cause that was fought so long and hard - to stop the objectification of women?

The main argument of course (in addition to "it's for charity!!!!") is that all the women chose to take part. Well I should hope so! But it doesn't change the fact that they (or at the very least the "mastermind" behind the tactic) is equating women's flesh with promoting good causes. Forget that coast-to-coast cycle, that sponsored silence, the good old baked bean bath... just get your kit off. You never know... you may even feel empowered?

:rolleyes:

Haven't seen any naked men who've had a testical removed running through London's parks and gardens. But it's "empowering" for women who've had a mastectomy. No moreso than climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, but who am I to comment? It's ingrained, still, that women's nudity is alright... sells magazines/calendars/perfume/charity envelopes.

I believe the money from the Ryanair calendar is going to a children's charity, which makes it even more difficult to swallow. Campaigning should be appropriate to the charity, not desperate, headline-grasping tricks from the powers that be. Whether or not the stewardesses were willing, I'm surprised no one thought twice about how appropriate it is. Should these calendars hang on said-ill-children's walls?

It's not the easiest ground to take, to criticise a charity. We all want to help in whatever way we can. But it is sexist behaviour and attitude that means a raunchy calendar is still the go-to for quick fundraising. Pound of flesh for a pound.
  • Options
    it's just a cheap and tacky way of getting publicity. I think it says alot about who they think their market is and certainly doesn't make me want to fly with them.
  • Options
    There are only two (hopefully) things in the world that it should be okay to portray as sexual, and that is men and women.
    Not entirely sure I'd agree with that. Without being crude, there are countless objects which can be portrayed and used in a sexual way!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    I like looking at attractive women. Doesn't mean I treat women like objects.

I don't think half naked pictures of girls are are a bad thing but I admit that there is probably too much of it.

Sexual objectification is not sexist. However sexual onbectification of one sex only is sexist.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Stuff like this makes me really angry. Why are there no men in it? Why is it the women being sexualised and objectified? I would totally not have a problem with it if it wasn't so sexually discriminative. This is a charity calendar and should appeal to more than one subgroup of society, surely? This is discriminating in two ways - it is objectifying women, and deconsumerising them.

Sure they agreed to do it - although, frankly some of them look absolutely miserable. But what are the chances of miss 'cockpit' being aware that she is creating herself as a purely aesthetic sexual object for the gratification of men?

When does this happen the otherway round? And if this wasn't exploitation, then where are the opposite sex?
  • Options
    talia wrote: »
    When does this happen the otherway round? And if this wasn't exploitation, then where are the opposite sex?

You mean like this

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/news/Steelmen-pose-nude-charity-calendar/article-443072-detail/article.html

or this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7068818.stm

and this

http://www.berwickshire-news.co.uk/news/Greenlaw-men-grin-and-bare.4617644.jp

and even this

http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/news/2443638.stars_bare_all_for_dales_charity_calendar/

Getting your kit of for charity has a long and glorious history - with both men and women...
  • Options

theyre not really the same thing though. Theyre more along the same lines as calender girls (film) not really sexual
  • Options
    theyre not really the same thing though. Theyre more along the same lines as calender girls (film) not really sexual

Bollocks.

If it were old hanging men then yes I might agree with the comparrison to 'calendar girls' but they not. Those sort of calendars feature all sorts and apear to me more about fun than using sex to sell.

These links to male calendar stories though feature scantilly clad young fit men in poses. How is that any different than the calendar featuring air hostesses?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

cover2009.jpg

http://www.firefighterscalendar.com/

Whilst it does nothing for me - I would say that is sexual
  • Options
    yeah, thats more along the same lines than the ones you posted before
  • Options
    cover2009.jpg

Now that's worth falling asleep in bed with a lighted ciggy for.
  • Options
    cover2009.jpg

God, I get so friggin' mad sometimes! :mad: :banghead:

This is the umpteenth time they have superimposed the face of some bloke on a photo of my body. Fuckin' pisser! They just don't wanna pay me any royalities! Grrrrrr!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Would you say the same thing if it was 12 men in this calendar? Oh, don't give me that rubbish. If this was a calendar with 12 naked male pilots all with fantastic bodies, women would not be buying it because "it's art" or "it shows how beautiful the male body is" - they'd look at it thinking "I wouldn't mind doing him". :p

Objectification works both ways, Namaste!
    And it's sexist both ways.... No one's saying it's only problematic to objectify women.
  • Options
    i think it is more problematic to objectify women as for so long women have fought hard to be taken seriously. This just shows that even when doing their job theyre just little playthings really.
  • Options
    This just shows that even when doing their job theyre just little playthings really.

Or it shows that even when doing their job they can be attractive, have a laugh and raise some cash for charity.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Or it shows that even when doing their job they can be attractive, have a laugh and raise some cash for charity.

:yes:
  • Options
    yeah, theyre laughing so much in that calander
  • Options

It hardly looks like they've a gun held to their head either, does it?
  • Options

Why would they be laughing? - they're supposed to be looking sultry, not like Bobo the Clown
  • Options
    Why would they be laughing? - they're supposed to be looking sultry, not like Bobo the Clown

:yes:
  • Options

It's a charity calender, I think it's safe to assume that they
    1. wern't being paid for it
    2. wern't forced into it.

Leaving me to suspect they did it for fun and for charity.
    This is not the same as Nuts and Zoo.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    how is it not the same as nuts and zoo? those pictures could have come straight out of those magazines.
  • Options
    how is it not the same as nuts and zoo? those pictures could have come straight out of those magazines.

Hardly. Nuts and Zoo tend to be WAY more 'sexual'.

Being honest, I don't buy either of them as I can't stand that kind of 'lads' mag. I don't like sports, I don't like the bullshit 'lads' banter in there, and I see plenty of boobs.

Give me GQ, any day.
  • Options
    Is this still going? Maybe I should feature more scantily-clad women on my threads in future. :p
    If this was lifted out of Nuts magazine, it would most likely have a picture of two "lesbians" groping each other's tits. This calendar's incredibly timid compared to that.