Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

We don't want presumed consent. Fuck that, says Gordon...

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    It's been a while since I was called anything as generous as a vocalist, but as I've already stated at the start - yes, I have opted in to donate my organs. This lie is being bandied about by Labour sycophants and other apologists who want this introduced. They know full well that most people will be outraged initially but that any campaign to get people to opt-out en masse would fail. Yet again, it shows how much contempt this government has for the people. Time for a long period on the opposition benches...
    What lie?? You're the one who's telling porkies. You keep claiming the government will take people's organs without their permission. That has never been the case.

For the hundreth time, people will be able to ensure their organs are not taken from their bodies and used in any way if that is what they want.

So please stop claiming otherwise. It's simply not true.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Aladdin wrote: »
    For the hundreth time, people will be able to ensure their organs are not taken from their bodies and used in any way if that is what they want.

People are NOW able to ensure that the organs can be used if they want, AND we still have rights to our organs by default.
    An opt out policy isn't the only way to increase donor numbers is it?

The idea that we should be able to do what we like with people after they die, simply because they failed to declare what they didn't want to happen whilst they were alive, makes me very uncomfortable.

Donation should be a voluntary thing. What your suggesting is involuntary donation.
    Weekender Offender 

If the possibilty of (very rarely) a mistake occurring is reason not to go ahead with this, I want the justice system to fold and disappear, seeing as there have been many cases where they got it wrong and convicted an innocent person. No more police, Courts, law and punishment please.

A % in the double figures can't even name the prime minister (i cant be bothered to find a link to the survey) so you think the majority of people will learn of yet another piece of legislation passing through parliament? Ha! If an informative letter on the subject was mailed to every household in Britain 5x times I'd put money on less than 50% of people actually learning about it.
    What lie?? You're the one who's telling porkies. You keep claiming the government will take people's organs without their permission. That has never been the case.
    That will be the case if this mad system is introduced. Assuming that people have given permission is even worse than knowing they haven't.
    I don't see the problem with assumed consent, after all its only a reversal of the current assumed non consent. I think if the majority of people had been born into the assumed consent situation it would be a non issue right now. It will save difficult conversations with relatives for doctors and nurses at the bed side, meaning they have more time to be dealing with patients. It will save the cost of continually having to advertise and promote registration to gain possibly fewer organs than would be gained by assumed consent. Parents could opt out on behalf of their children at birth and then at the age of 18 assumed consent could be taken unless they opted out. I agree that it would need to be simple to opt out options to do it on line, at the drs sending a letter to the dr, hopsital etc or making a call to a special number free of charge.

The more organs available to patients that need it may mean the NHS has
    more money to spend as they wont be treating people for illness as intensively after an organ replacement. I know that people here feel quite strongly on the matter and have either not registered because they don't want to donate or have registered because they do. However there are huge numbers of people out there that wouldnt mind having their organs used but have never registered possibly due to apathy or ignorance or its not something they think about on a daily basis. I personally will admit to my family not being registered but I know that we would not mind in the event of our death.

I know not everyone shares the same belief that after death I wont need my organs so someone else should make use of them but I don't see why people have to suffer needlessly because a lot of people simply dont respond to the request to donate organs.
    I don't see the problem with assumed consent, after all its only a reversal of the current assumed non consent.

It is a turnaround of a fundamental legal principle.

Would you not have a problem with anyone having assumed consent to grope you as you walked down the street ? After all its only a reversal of the current assumed non consent to grope you.
    That is an extremely poor analogy :rolleyes:
    400 people died last year waiting for a transplant, I don't understand the reasons people have for not wanting to donate, but I do respect that they have those reasons. I think it's reasonable to ask people to opt out, I agree completely with everything Aladdin has said on this topic and I firmly believe that people are 100% more likely to opt out than opt in. For heaven's sake, it's easy enough to opt in (though you wouldn't think it) and as it'll be just as easy to opt out I don't see a problem.

We've tried the alternative - getting people to opt in - and it seems that by-and-large people are too bloody apathetic/confused/lazy (?) to sign up even if they are morally at ease with organ donation. I think an education programme would be a wonderful idea, to get into schools and inform at a young age when people will carry that message (and hopefully that card) for their whole adult life. Education is needed, and a higher profile is needed. At least this story has raised the issue, which even those against presumed consent must aknowledge.

I suppose I see it in a very black and white way, I struggle to see shades of grey with this issue. If you are really that opposed to donation, you'll exercise your right to opt out. Won't you? It's not hard.

Failing that, at least let's go for broke informing people properly about donation, and answering their questions. Let's encourage more people to register - one way or another - and not shout down presumed consent and end the discussion of the topic there. Schools and colleges have a major part to play in this, in my opinion, I think teenagers are more receptive to new notions than any other group of people, and I'd love to see this topic being thrown open to them so they can make informed decisions. I'm pretty confident that would see a huge increase in the numbers.

But, since I don't think that'll happen - and until it does - I'm all for opting out.
    briggi wrote: »
    I think an education programme would be a wonderful idea, to get into schools and inform at a young age when people will carry that message...
    I think you are being disingenuous. What you mean by education is actually indoctrination. A bunch of people (who are most probably just hired actors) come to a school to tell a bunch of lies about why everyone should give every one of their organs to that lovely Gordon Brown - whilst also remembering to tell them to vote Labour, naturally - and that anyone who doesn't willingly hand over their bodies to the state deserves to die. The likes of yourself and Aladdin condemn indoctrination when we see the celibacy movement in the USA doing it. Funny how you support these things when you agree with the cause, isn't it?

Yes, that's just what we need - yet more government propaganda into our schools!
    SG how else do you expect more people to get on the register? Instead of rubbishing peoples' ideas why not tell us your solution?
    lea_uk wrote: »
    SG how else do you expect more people to get on the register? Instead of rubbishing peoples' ideas why not tell us your solution?
    Already have, if you'd bothered to read the thread. Promote it endlessly and make it easier to sign up. Let people sign up at all kinds of public places. Register yourself whilst doing your grocery shopping, for instance...
    lea_uk wrote: »

Kill all the MPs.

Kill all the lawyers.

etc.

;)

I think more education would be a good thing definately. Blood transfusion and organ donation never hit me once in 16 years or so of formal education.

The problem is the compatibility I think. If you're a smoker then it's likely your heart / lungs wont be used... similar if you're overweight etc. Maybe they're too picky?

The reason they need more organ donors is stated in black and white:
    The numbers of people, particularly younger people, dying in these circumstances is falling, mainly because of welcome improvements in road safety, medical advances in the treatment of patients and the prevention of strokes in younger people.

It's not like there's a 'massive crisis' that nobody is on the register, it's that the people on the register aren't elligible to donate. As time goes on things are getting better with new advances in medical technology. If I was in charge I might spend the effort trying to work out ways to help more with what they've got rather than just throw a wider net in the hope you'll get good ones.
    Already have, if you'd bothered to read the thread. Promote it endlessly and make it easier to sign up. Let people sign up at all kinds of public places. Register yourself whilst doing your grocery shopping, for instance...
    Sorry I forgot you had said that. I do think that Briggi is proposing is part of that.
    It IS easy to sign up. I did it when I got my Boots Advantage Card for fuck's sake. I've done it for something else, as well, even though I already ticked the same boxes before, I wanted to make sure I was on the register.
    Fair enough, Stargalaxy, you obviously feel very strongly about this. But I think you are being presumptuous about my opinion - I don't mean indocrination and nothing I've said has indicated that I would advocate that. As ShyBoy said, it goes unmentioned in schools. I think that's wrong, maybe you think it's right. I'm not suggesting a hardcore drive or an "organ-harvest festival" in place of tinned peaches and autumnal songs - just that the issue is raised honestly and questions are answered.

Not sure why you think I (or anyone else) wants everyone to give their organs to Gordon Brown. It's the people stuck - often dying - on waiting lists who concern me. Sounds like you're so keen to get a dig in that you're missing the point. If you liked the PM more, maybe you'd be more in favour. Or maybe you genuinely just don't like the idea, who knows. I'm not suggesting talks from appropriate charities/people that tie in with any political drive, so I'm not sure why the snide aside about voting Labour was included.

The celibacy comparison is tenuous. The difference between advocating a lifestyle choice and a choice that means in death you could save a life are worlds apart to me. I don't expect you to agree, and maybe you can't even see the chasm between the two.

Last thing, I haven't a clue where the implication that I wish death on people who aren't a registered organ donor came from. Or that any hypothetical person who came into a school to discuss organ donation would suggest anything of the sort. What a[n assumed] character assassination.
    briggi wrote: »
    Fair enough, Stargalaxy, you obviously feel very strongly about this. But I think you are being presumptuous about my opinion - I don't mean indocrination and nothing I've said has indicated that I would advocate that. As ShyBoy said, it goes unmentioned in schools. I think that's wrong, maybe you think it's right. I'm not suggesting a hardcore drive or an "organ-harvest festival" in place of tinned peaches and autumnal songs - just that the issue is raised honestly and questions are answered.
    I see no reason why the issue can't be mentioned at all in schools. But it should be done in a completely impartial way, letting people choose at the end what they want to do. Besides, I can just about see the complaints in the newspapers along the lines of "children are being signed up to the organ donors list without their parents consent". The tabloids would have a field day.
    Not sure why you think I (or anyone else) wants everyone to give their organs to Gordon Brown. It's the people stuck - often dying - on waiting lists who concern me. Sounds like you're so keen to get a dig in that you're missing the point. If you liked the PM more, maybe you'd be more in favour. Or maybe you genuinely just don't like the idea, who knows. I'm not suggesting talks from appropriate charities/people that tie in with any political drive, so I'm not sure why the snide aside about voting Labour was included.
    Nationalisation of your body in this way means that you are effectively giving your organs to the government. The man in charge of that government happens to be Gordon Brown. He's nationalised the banks, (in a very half-arsed way) but I certainly won't let him nationalise my heart.

It's well known I think the man is as thick as two planks. But if Gordon were to get something right, (a rare enough event) I'd be the first to praise him.
    Last thing, I haven't a clue where the implication that I wish death on people who aren't a registered organ donor came from. Or that any hypothetical person who came into a school to discuss organ donation would suggest anything of the sort. What a[n assumed] character assassination.
    What? I implied nothing of the sort.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Kill all the MPs.

Kill all the lawyers.

etc.

;)

Kill all the smug bastards at York University... :p
    God of schmuck of course I would have a problem if people assumed they could grope me, if the government decided tomorrow that it was assumed that anyone could be groped unless they opted out then I would opt out.

As it has been said people in general will take action if they feel strongly enough about the situation and I would do so, however most people don't even consider organ donation. It's not something that impacts on the lives of the majority on a daily basis and there is a great deal of apathy on the subject.

I agree with Briggi in terms of education after all if children are not taught about the donation scheme and how much of a difference it could make in someones lives how are they to decide what to do?

Do you feel the majority of adults of child bearing age are informed well enough to discuss the situation with their children in a non biased way? There are many people out there that could possibly have totally the wrong information and pass that down to their family meaning that someone suffers and possibily dies out of ignorance. Maybe educating the children will in turn educate the parents and possibly grandparents.

Its obviously a very emotive subject and it would be impossible to get 100% agreement from the population of the UK but surely if all we have to do to save a few lives is to change a policy from opting in to opting out its worth it, in my opinion anyway.
    God of schmuck of course I would have a problem if people assumed they could grope me, if the government decided tomorrow that it was assumed that anyone could be groped unless they opted out then I would opt out.

The right not to be groped is the default position, and so should your right to your body be the default position.
    This opt out system would effectively mean from birth your body's on loan, until you either claim it or die.

I don't like the idea that it's OK to take organs from somebody that hasn't actively given consent, somebody that hasn't volunteered because possesions should not be taken without positive indication that it's ok to do so.

It's a funny issue because it's a very personal and important decision that people should make for themselves. Unfortuantely it seems not enough are, but that doesn't mean we should be letting the law make it up for us.
    I've never had somebody actively come up to me, anywhere and asked me to consider organ donation. The only reason I've signed up is that I've had family in need of a donor organ and it was obviously an issue at the time for me. I'm on the list and now I don't even think about it anymore.
    There are other ways of increasing numbers without bringing in such drastic laws.
    Weekender Offender 
    Do you feel the majority of adults of child bearing age are informed well enough to discuss the situation with their children in a non biased way? There are many people out there that could possibly have totally the wrong information and pass that down to their family meaning that someone suffers and possibily dies out of ignorance. Maybe educating the children will in turn educate the parents and possibly grandparents.

Its obviously a very emotive subject and it would be impossible to get 100% agreement from the population of the UK but surely if all we have to do to save a few lives is to change a policy from opting in to opting out its worth it, in my opinion anyway.

You are making some assumptions here that rely on emotions rather than facts. Facts involved in organ transplantation that have not been brought into this discussion thus far. Somewhat superficial mantras about saving lives is not informing as far as I am concerned.

I think you are also heavily discounting the financial aspect. For example, there is a greater financial gain for the medical industry in performing a kidney transplant and supplying the necessary anti-rejection drugs rather than dialysis treatment.
    You can't get away from the fact that there are going to be people who would have a very hard time opting out like many with certain disabilities would.
    Weekender Offender 
    [QUOTE=I think you are also heavily discounting the financial aspect. For example, there is a greater financial gain for the medical industry in performing a kidney transplant and supplying the necessary anti-rejection drugs rather than dialysis treatment.[/QUOTE]

Its not something that I specifically mentioned, however I did consider this fact and I am sorry but I don't see a problem with that, the patients would more often than not be much healthier after a transplant, therefore less money is needed for their care and more money would be available to patients who have illness that cannot be remedied by a transplant.

In terms of people with severe mental disability or severe physical disability I am sure there would be a way of the government auto opting out for them unless they opted in. I hadn't considered the issue of people who couldnt mentally understand the impact of assumed consent or were physically incapable of making their views known. I agree that in this situation it would be unfair.

Life is such a precious thing and many people do not realise quite how special it is until they become ill and it will be taken away. So they dont register, people die and it cost the NHS money that could be well spent on other issues.