Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hand Baggage Restrictions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When I went to New York with BA last year I was given a plastic bag to put all my liquid makeup in and then I just put that in my handbag and that was fine. Is that what you mean?
    I would speak to Ryan air desk at the airport before you go because my mum has flown with them and they didn't supply the plastic bags like she thought they would and instead had to throw some of her make-up away :(
    You need to check directly with your airport as each airport has different restriction with regard to the number of bags you can take for hand luggage - and also the airlines are also all different (along with the airport your flying to for when you return). I have randomly guessed your going from newcastle

I would definately reccomend getting a clear plasitc bag at home before you get to the airport and seeing how much you can fit in. Powdered items as far as i can tell dont' need to be put in your plastic bag as its only gels, liquids, pastes and aerosols - so you can put these in your normal wash bag along with your toothbrush which also doesnt' need to be in the plastic bag. Also your eyeliner pencils etc can go in that.

If there are two of you travelling then what i normally do is pack two bags distributing stuff for both people accross the two - so for example the husband doesnt' for soem reason need as much liquid stuff as I do so i put my excess in his bag - also i graciously allow him to share my shampooh, conditioner etc. Which means you can take more stuff. I did find that when i went away by myself this summer i struggled to fit all i needed in and had to give some to my mum who was checking in luggage.

Also i'm sure you know you can get loads of mini travel stuff from boots and super drug.
    Last time I flew it was one resealable plastic bag, and each individual container within it had to be less than 100ml. That was the full volume, so you couldn't have a half full 200ml bottle or anything like that.

Make up should be fine, just put it all the the resealable bag, none of that will be over 100ml, it's stuff like shampoo where you'll need to get hold of minis. I highly recommend superdrug.
    Last time I flew they where scanning bags and confiscating anything over the 100ml limit.

Superdrug and Boots do lots of minis, (even in the middle of winter) that you can take with you. They also do reusable mini bottles if you want a certain product you cant get in mini form.

I prefer eurostars almost lack of luggage rules.
    I'm travelling to New York tomorrow and now I can't even remember... can you put liquids in your checked luggage? I have a big bottle of st tropez that I want to take with me! And perfumes etc
    Liquids in your checked luggage are fine, its just carry on that has the restrictions.