Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bibliographies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Quick essay writing question:

In a bibliography for an essay, do you only put in books that you have mentioned in your footnotes (ie one's you've quoted from or used ideas directly from), or do you also include books you've read on the subject but haven't used directly?

I always used to put in books that I read, but didn't use, just to show I'd done some wider reading, but now some of my friends have said that was wrong. Just wondering what everyone here thinks.

Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Quick essay writing question:

In a bibliography for an essay, do you only put in books that you have mentioned in your footnotes (ie one's you've quoted from or used ideas directly from), or do you also include books you've read on the subject but haven't used directly?

I always used to put in books that I read, but didn't use, just to show I'd done some wider reading, but now some of my friends have said that was wrong. Just wondering what everyone here thinks.

Thanks.

It's up to what your course organiser thinks. Ours has changed in the last year. It used to be all the books you'd read, but now it's just the ones you've quoted. So my biblio is 4 books instead about 10. Makes me look like I tried less! Boo!
    usually you have a references section which is where you reference books/journals and things that you have taken direct quotes from or paraphrased from a bibliography is what you have used for wider reading on the topic thats at my uni anyway
    If I quote from an article or book in my assignment then I will put it in a footnote. And then including what is in my footnotes and other things that I have read I will also include in the bibliography.
    ahhhh dont think i'm any good to you then because we harvard reference which a different system that doesnt include footnotes and things
    Looks like we all do it kinda differently so, OP, you're best asking your course organiser/whoever is in charge!
    i've done it as anything i've read for the essay, reguardless if i used it or not.
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    It's up to what your course organiser thinks. Ours has changed in the last year. It used to be all the books you'd read, but now it's just the ones you've quoted. So my biblio is 4 books instead about 10. Makes me look like I tried less! Boo!

Ours used to be like that but now we can add in books we have just read from and not just quoted directly from, it makes me look like I've tried harder ;)

Though I just look at refrences included in the books I've read and throw a few of them in :o
    Mixture of both - if I read a book and it turned out to be useless, not covering what I wanted i didn't put it in the bibliography.

I also didn't put in the Ladybird book on Robert the Bruce which I read when doing my essay on the Medieval Warfare, because I thought the lecturer might have a sense of humour failure
    Aye, but you can still put "further reading" or "other references" in
    piccolo wrote: »
    Aye, but you can still put "further reading" or "other references" in

Nah, we're not allowed to. Our biblio is only to be things that we have quoted in our essays. Gash.
    My uni is quite strict too. References must be everything thats cited / quoted / paraphrased and nothing more.
    Nah, we're not allowed to. Our biblio is only to be things that we have quoted in our essays. Gash.
    Oh, I didn't doubt you, it was a suggestion to the OP :)
    piccolo wrote: »
    Oh, I didn't doubt you, it was a suggestion to the OP :)

Whoops!

Uni is so confusing, and it's eating my brain at the moment...