Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anyone jumped on the Dubstep bandwagon?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Not been about very long, well long enough to be relatively new.

Wasn't feeling it at first, but really starting to grow on me love it to chill out to. Beauty of it is it's very versatile.

Couldn't find much to link up, but this little 10 minute mix does is very good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juoRdXKO2go

So, who else has jumped on the dubstep bandwagon? :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Love anything dub, and thats no exception - now if it was only that mix with django and the harder they come playing it'd be babylon...
    Same as you really... been listening to it for a while and its growing on me more.

Chase & Status have got a new tune out called Eastern Jam which I thinks wicked, really moody.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MzRaYFCZpPo
    Its not bad and all, i mean in the right mood and time its pretty good. I just can't see myself going clubbing to it, i mean you can't prance about like a loon to it :p
    Nice! I never knew of this style before, but reading "dubstep" before playing the first vide, I knew it'd be dnb-related, knowing that we had "techstep" a decade back. Dubstep to me sounds like twostep but without the cheesy garage stuff :-)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    It's alright. Not overly original if you've been listening to D&B, and Garage for years.

New (and old) hardcore breaks are the way forward.
    Weekender Offender 
    JamesZero wrote: »
    Same as you really... been listening to it for a while and its growing on me more.

Chase & Status have got a new tune out called Eastern Jam which I thinks wicked, really moody.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MzRaYFCZpPo

That's fucking quality.

Any more recommended tracks?
    A couple of years ago finding a dubstep night was so hard and now every single night I work at my club they are like DUBSTEP DUBSTEP! All the new freshers as well are like "Omg... you can listen to dubstep here... that's soooo underground." I feel like choking them with coathangers. :)
    i friend at uni is trying to get me into it...it seems kinda reminiscent of triphop
    Skive wrote: »
    It's alright. Not overly original if you've been listening to D&B, and Garage for years.

New (and old) hardcore breaks are the way forward.

Its been around in Garage and DnB for many years, but I think it has broken away a bit and if you listen around it does have some originality...

The problem is most people who produce it just love that low wobble bassline and its so easy to produce that you get a lot of tracks sounding the same.
    Addict wrote:
    That's fucking quality.

Any more recommended tracks?

To be honest I'm not massively up on the latest stuff... I will have a dig around when I get in.
    That tune was off of Chase & Status' latest album tho, its called more than a lot and its a bit of a mixture of genres, well worth getting tho.
    Joker - Stuck in the System

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sA4cLfv7hm0

Love it when this one drops! needs to be up loud
    I really gota recommend a few things, I'll dig up some youtube links... audio quality may not be best, but it's a good start :)

10 bit dreams - skream

Benny Page & Zero G - Trigger Finger

... both of which are on the excellent Rinse Vol.6 amongst other treats.

You've probably heard Rusko's Cockney Thug, There's a nasty caspa remix too.

bit more on the darker experimental tip you've got king cannibal (myspace - check "Aragami style") (Mixes) (Also some on youtube)

Also GothTrad, and for something a bit mental - Raffertie, some nice sub from Prototype, different beats from the bristol lot like appleblim of skulldisco - in fact there's a free 60min mix right on their home page! Plenty other people too...

If you check out the dubstepforum mix board, there's a load of free mixes to be had there.

If you're into your experimental electronic music more generally, I strongly recommend giving mary anne hobb's show a listen, you can (Listen again online. Sometimes has a bit too much grime for my liking, but it's generally most excellent :yum:

Also, if you like the flavour of the less dubstep/more offbeat stuff... do not miss Flying Lotus (skip past the first track for the good stuff). the Los Angeles album is probably my album of the year...

hah! I've nearly got of topic there, sorry! :blush: there're many many different flavours of dubstep, hope there's something in there you find to your liking :thumb:

edit: oh, and after linking rinse 06 compilation, how could I forget! Rinse FM Podcasts!, check the ones tagged dubstep, they're all free to download. sometimes the audio quality is a bit poor, but it's still good.

Also, I prefer the B-side to that Chase and status track: Smash TV
    I've liked it for a while. Don't know too much about it though, would like to get more into it.
    Errrm dubstep has been around my part of town for a good 4-5 years no? For me, I like it, but I always feel it´s a bit of a disappointment - drum and bass without the drop.
    talia wrote: »
    drum and bass without the drop.

lol Innit.