Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Binge Drinking/Credit Crunch

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

Just wanted to start a discussion on binge drinking and the effect that the credit crunch has had on our drinking habits?

In Europe binge-drinking is a huge issue, especially in the UK and Ireland where excessive drinking goes with our nightclub culture among the 18-30's.

It's sad to be honest and one sort of wishes that our reputation didn't precede us abroad so much as it does! With regard to the current climate, I've read that excessive drinking is on the rise due to depression over financial problems. As well as drinking being on the rise, gym attendance is down and memberships are being cancelled (due to a shortage of cashflow!) and we are buying less healthy foods in favour of items that are on special offer, like cakes and chips and things...

Anyway, there's a full article on it at the following site that I thought might interest and add something to the conversation! http://www.foodeu.com/articles/Credit+Crunch+Forces+Binge+Drinking.aspx

If anyone has any views on the toll that the credit crunch has taken on their health/drinking habits etc, make a contribution!

Thanks, Caitlin

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Since the credit crunch I've actually joined a gym and cut down on my drinking to save money. Drinking is an expensive hobby so it's ridiculous that people use it as an answer to financial problems

A months gym pass plus all exercise classes is £30 a month (I use the local leisure centre) which is less than a night out! And I can go as much as I like! The exercise classes are really fun, and everyone knows exercise is a great way to lift your mood - I'm always buzzing after I've been exercising!

Plus I'm eating MORE healthily as I can't afford snack food and other treats. I cut down on spending by writing a plan of meals for the week and a shopping list based on the plan. Also shopping at times when they reduce food (Sunday is the best for this).

God people are so thick. I love the way the healthy things get dropped straight away, instead of reaching a sensible balance between the two. It seems like having a bit less money is just an excuse to do all the stuff you normally feel bad for!
    I guess I'm not as hardcore as I should be. :p I've told my friends the last couple of weekends they obviously forgot who they called when they've asked to go out... especially with some of the places they've wanted to try :S

I actually paced the liquor section of the grocery store tonight for 5 minutes picking up the vodka and putting it back. Not because I had some innate desire to buy and binge drink it but I ran out the other day and I have some sort of weird desire to keep that part of the house stocked.

The gym membership, on the other hand, definatly stays. Got that baby 3 years ago and my rate is in stone. Still remember, was a missprint in the paper and got a really good deal on it! Canceling now and signing up later would add another $20 a month. Even if I don't use it now, I might one day again, and I'll be getting a deal then :p

We never eat at home either. But lately I've decided to attempt to cook. I'm amazed at how cheap alot of meals can be. I do cook "family-sized" meals though, and just have leftovers for lunches at work. Cooking for 2, I'm sure, could get rather expensive. Just get the coupons and sales and most things are quite the steal. Pound of fresh angus pub burgers for $1.50 (like 0.75pounds) and made some delicious enchaladas.
    $1.50 (like 0.75pounds) .

Far from it now, the pound is seeming to be losinn out more each day, maybe it will not be here some day soon.. I hope not, imagine we all had to survive with euro, €2 for a bottle of water, €6 for a pint. the list goes on and on, so hopefully sterling will regain it's power otherwise it's all change and maybe for the worst.