Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

paying ebayers in cash?

there is something i want to buy for £260. the product is pick up only. the ebayer wants to be paid in cash.

now, £260 is alot of money to me so im a bit umm reluctant to pay in cash? does it not seem fishy to anyone or am i being too suspicious. i dont mind paying by paypal as you are covered if something goes wrong.

also, on his feedback, you cannot see what he has sold previously. it all comes all as private. is that a problem? he has 100% feedback with over 200 reviews.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would personally find out if there was any way of paying via Paypal, as you rightly said at least then you are protected.

I guess it depends what kind of purchase it is but I would feel uncomfortable buying anything over £100 without some kind of protection...
    why don't you go there and see the product then ask them to wait until you go to a cashpoint to pick the money up?
    Also slightly depends on what sort of item it is.. Is it something that's mostly ok or something that might have dodgyness around it?
    its a playstation 3 with a few games. new.
    oh, and the seller has a receipt for the product.
    for that price I don't think I'd bother. For 30 quid more you can get a PS3 brand new from Game or Amazon with a couple of games, or for the same price they have discounted PS3s from CEX which would be guaranteed to be working.
    um, thats what i was feeling tbh. ive seen a 80gb ps3 on comet with 2 games for £299 inc little big planet that i want to get hehe.

cex? whats that?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Cex.

Not to be confused with Sex.
    Wanting cash for an item to be collected is totally normal behaviour on eBay. PayPal sucks for collections, the seller is opening himself up to being stung.
    Must admit I never sell anything like consoles on ebay anymore after being stung by bidders who were scamming or just didn't pay in the end, so I always use gumtree to sell consoles and I always ask for cash for anything being collected.

Basically, if someone is coming to pick something up in person I ain't messing around with 6 days before I can get to the money, they can take the money out of the bank and hand it to me.
    Cex.

Not to be confused with Sex.

My boyfriend told me to 'Check out Cex' the other day. It took me a while to realise what he actually meant!