Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Applying for internship - tips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi guys

If any people from financial companies (basically I want to be an actuary) have any tips on how to get an internship that would be great. I mean, obviously you need to apply which I'm in the process of doing at the minute, but I've read websites where you can 'train' for interviews and how to answer questionaires perfectly and everything... which is a bit bizarre because surely they just want you to be honest and yourself so both you and them can get a good idea if you're suitable for each other. Afterall if you were pretending to be someone you're not then you're probably applying for a job you won't like...

But any general tips about people who have done it would be great!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What I might do then is fill in the questionnaire and take it to my supervisor meeting and see what my supervisor reckons? Good idea?

It's got questions like 'why do you want to work for Norwich Union' and such... I was speaking to my lecturer about stuff and I was saying I always just write these like its a stream of conciounce but now its such a competitive level for these limited internships (I want to be an actuary, mmm - insurance) you can't just be honest, you need to practice everything. You need to know what the *right* answer is to open ended questions like 'where do you see yourself in 5 years time' and all that jazz.
    Did a google search 'for 'tips applying for actuarial intern' and this is the 5th hit :D. I stumbled a bit on the 'greatest achievement' one and not 100% sure about the 'demonstrated leadership skills' as I've been in a lot of things and often do a lot of leading but not in a formal way as such (i.e. not actually been in a 'head' position).

Greatest achievement I've written in my draft is that I've changed my work ethic dramatically - from A level where I just 'coasted through' on natural ability, to working in a bank where there was friendly competition through performance where I developed an enjoyment of work, to starting a different course at uni and being really proactive in getting things done. I don't know if that counts as an achievement though :/.

Supervision meeting on Tues anyway so hopefully... *crosses fingers*.
    So since this is becoming the authoritive google hit for looking for internships in actuarial studies (which gets paid funny moneys - its similar level to law/architecture/medicine when qualified) I have found a good site:

http://www.insidecareers.co.uk/act

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/careers/graduates

note that PWC are a recruiter (i didnt know!) and are also times online's #1 employer in the UK: http://www.top100graduateemployers.com/employers/

280 UCAS points to get onto their summer placement scheme with only 120 positions available, I think it's going to be very competitive especially considering I'm not studying Actuarial Science or Mathematics (preferred subjects).

It takes about 6 years of training and exams to actually become an actuary, but then you are set up for life the same way a qualified lawyer or doctor would be.

It's quite funny because in a loose sense an actuary is basically someone who is paid to predict the future - obviously risk concious companies are going to be quite interested to have that information.
    Shyboy do you realise you are talking to yourself?
    yea

Im so anxious about this and don't really know where to go for advice. ..
    Shyboy do you realise you are talking to yourself?

:lol:
    There's no need to be mean about it.

It's good that you've got your supervisor meeting tomorrow shyboy, hopefully he'll be able to give you some advice. It's good that you're preparing for it though.
    supervisor was a bit rubbish - he said it's good I'm worried about it and people who take the initiative now and get a summer internship normally get their careers set up for life.

so I went to the careers office who said I need to make an appointment, but appointments are released daily at 8am and its particularly busy this time of year - but the receptionist lady went round with me and helped me pick out some relevent forms. Apparently if I complete an application form and email it to them they will check it over.

The problem is when applying for some places, your form gets read by a robot and you need to get *coached* in a way to put the right things and say the right things in interviews. You know like you can get coaching for oxbridge.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things but when's the deadline? Have you tried our careers and study section on askTheSite?
    Actuaries are in relatively high demand with relatively less people wanting to do it compared to investment banking say so the deadlines are much further back - as late as March. Though with companies like PWC they will give out offers on a first come first serve basis so its helpful to be speedy about it. But at the same time its very much a case of less haste more speed because rushing an application could get one of the robots to throw it out.

All in all its enough to have me calling in sick because I get so stressed about it :p I had the idea of a ucas-style system for internships. Would make it sooo much easier.