Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

BBC Radio presenter sacked over 'racist' call to mini cab office

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    Like how a radio presenter can use homophobic language on air, but somebody gets the sack for racism off air.

That is double standards.

It looks like people are favouring one group over the other and gives the impression it's cool to use some language that offends some groups, but not the other.
    What ARE you actually saying here, Namaste? And don't try to distract me with that "homophobia" rubbish about Chris Moyles - should she have been sacked, yes or no?
  • Options
    I think this woman, while you are right in saying that she probly wouldnt have been sacked if it hadnt been leaked, she SHOULD have been sacked.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    What ARE you actually saying here, Namaste? And don't try to distract me with that "homophobia" rubbish about Chris Moyles - should she have been sacked, yes or no?
    No.

The BBC is inconsistant with what it deems to be PC and she didn't even say it on air.

But the BBC is also hypocritical and I do think using 'gay' to mean 'rubbish' is homophobic, or maybe we should just change it to 'black'.

"Yeah, that film was totally black man."

I don't see the point in punishing one person for one prejudice and ignoring another.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    No.
    Praise the Lord, we agree on something for once!
    The BBC is inconsistant with what it deems to be PC and she didn't even say it on air. But the BBC is also hypocritical and I do think using 'gay' to mean 'rubbish' is homophobic, or maybe we should just change it to 'black'.
    In that case, your issue is with the actual word "gay" rather than with Chris Moyles. I wonder if you listen to his show in the morning - if you did, you'd find they've said a lot more than that on it!
  • Options
    No. It's quite clear that her issue isn't with the word 'gay' but with how it is wrongly used by people like Moyles.
  • Options
    This is an embarrassment. The BBC had no business firing this woman.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    My contract states that should It be made aware to the HR department any racist/seriously offensive actions on my behalf, in company time or outside, shall render my contract null and void pending an investigation.

edit
    Bringing the company/business into disrepute.

So that indicates casual racism is worse than 'averagely offensive' actions, surely? Tho we are obsessed with racism so it's little surprise!

edit: a turban isn't a race thing, either, so she wasn't being racist, she was being religionist! :p
  • Options
    No. It's quite clear that her issue isn't with the word 'gay' but with how it is wrongly used by people like Moyles.
    Yes...

Mr Stargalaxy seems to be jumping to many conclusions this eve and probably needs a destress bath or summat.

*Feels square eyed*
  • Options
    Didn't she call from their premises anyway and use her position to get a white driver?

I'm more worried about what she is teaching her daughter about what all asian men are like, if they scare her so much.