Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stress, no contract and work avoidance?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there,

I am currently working on a 5 hr a week contract, I need to work fulltime and so my boss has given me about 35 extra hours to tide me over (hoefully until he can get a contract sorted).

I've worked these hours since July- and because they are not contracted I have not taken any time off (because if I am not at work, I will not get paid).

Now its november and I've spent the last month get cough after cold after cough- and have never fully recovered. I took one day off last week because I just couldn't face it any more.

Now I am feeling poorly again, and there is a nasty gastroenteritis bug going round at work. I really feel like what I want/need to do is take 10 days off and just relax, eat well, get better, recover and avoid the tummy bug (I have a severe phobia of vomiting- which no-one at work knows about).

Because my hours aren't contracted I don't have any sickness pay, but then again I have just thought that I don't have anything making me go in...so if I take 10 days off thats my perogative? I know that I will seriously notice the impact of days off in my pay packet...but at the moment I feel like my health and sanity is much more important!

I don't know what I should do? Also my boss is away for 2 weeks- so I can't ask him and he hasn't a 'junior' version either.

Anyone been in this situation or offer any words of wisdom?:blush:

Comments