Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

change name and nationality once maried

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i married my wife a few months ago, im wondering how do we go about changing her surname to mine, and also, as she is originally from Poland, she can change her nationality now right? how do i go about that as well....

Cheers guys :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Might be worth asking a question through askTheSite's legal section (and go into as much detail as possible).

http://www.thesite.rg/community/askthesite

You may also want to check the archived answers in the law section as well.

Though that's not to stop anyone else reply obviously, I'm sure some of the keen legal brains around the place would know as well :)
    Well I do know it only costs £34 to change your name.

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/
    hi,

You married her here in England?

the dwp have information to help if thats any help.

but give them as much info as you can
    Wasn't this discussed with you when you went to give notice of your marriage at the register's office? Try this www.gro.gov.uk
    bugsbunny wrote: »
    Well I do know it only costs £34 to change your name.

http://www.deedpoll.org.uk/

You don't need to pay to change your name after marriage - your marriage certificate serves as proof that it has changed.

Can't help with the nationality thing, but as far as name goes, if she wants to change her name to yours, it's already happened. She just needs to tell everyone. Banks, passport driving license etc will need to see (possibly original) copies of your marriage certificate.
    Out of interest, why does she want to change her nationality?

I assume she can now get (or possibly after a year) what's classed as Indefinite Leave to Remain, which would give her fuller access to social services and what not. And as a Polish citizen she doesnt need a British passport to stay here. I suppose if she wants to vote then she does need to get a British passport.
    But it might make it difficult for her to travel elsewhere - i have a friend who is from Zimbabwe and whilst he's married to an english girl and has the right to remain in the Uk travelling anywhere else is a nightmare.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    But it might make it difficult for her to travel elsewhere - i have a friend who is from Zimbabwe and whilst he's married to an english girl and has the right to remain in the Uk travelling anywhere else is a nightmare.

Good point, well to actually get a passport I think you now need to be together for 3 years.
    budda wrote: »
    Out of interest, why does she want to change her nationality?

I assume she can now get (or possibly after a year) what's classed as Indefinite Leave to Remain, which would give her fuller access to social services and what not. And as a Polish citizen she doesnt need a British passport to stay here. I suppose if she wants to vote then she does need to get a British passport.

She was just going to update her passport with the name change, but theres the option there on the form that says about changing the nationality so we thought why not...

Your right she doesnt need to to remain in England, it wont change nothing for us, the only actual thing itll change is she can freely visit America, which we dont plan too.

But as were going to live in the U.K for the rest of our lives if she can she might as well.

Shes been here since 2005 and we had our first date exactly two years ago today :)
    She might not have to give up her nationality, it depends on the country, but most will allow you to have two passports.

I dont want to dwell on the negative, but it might be best for her to keep hold of her Polish passport too, just in case she (or both of you) want to move back. Obviously with a British passport she would be able to live there, but she may well not be able to claim a pension or other benefits.
    She might not have to give up her nationality, it depends on the country, but most will allow you to have two passports.

I dont want to dwell on the negative, but it might be best for her to keep hold of her Polish passport too, just in case she (or both of you) want to move back. Obviously with a British passport she would be able to live there, but she may well not be able to claim a pension or other benefits.

What way is you sig meant to read, I can't figure it out
    Its a play on words. Go is an ancient Chinese board game, so its a flip of the phrase 'its the way he would have wanted to go' because weigh and way sound the same. Get it? I shouldnt have to explain these gags they are top notch.

So are you saying she can just apply for a first british passport, as a additional passport then?
    I've just had a gander through my passport application leaflet, cause I'm renewing mine, and from what I gather, if you were born outside the UK, you need some sort of documentation from the Home Office before you can apply for a British passport. I don't know if this is right or not, or how your marriage affects anything.

There's a number for the passport advice line, which would probably be able to point you in the right direction!: 0870 521 0410 (24 hours)
    Top girl.... ill give that number a ring, and let you know for informations sake :)
    well i just phoned them, spoke to a girl there, she said we can either just change her name on her polish passport and keep that, or if she wanted to apply for dual nationality then phone the nationality customer contact centre on 08450105200.

There closed today though, she also said itll be around three hundred pound.
    Im wondering if its worth it, well see :thumb: