Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

would you make a citizens arrest?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
With crime at large these days would you feel safe to make a citizens arrest and would you know what to do?
:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if i was a higher belt in ju jitsu, and felt more confident in self defence then yes.
    yes to practice on landlords hehe
    Well, i haven't been beaten up in the past 18 months, and i only started ju jitsu in september, so i hope to not have to use it outside of class. the three warnings thing is annoying cos if its a split second decision, how do you get the warnings in?
    it depends on the circumstances, ie what just happened, am I on my own, how do I ring the police if I'm wrestling someone e.t.c.

Best advice would be to follow them and keep the police updated by phone. That way you'll be a better witness, the person will still have his collar felt and you won't end up getting beaten up.
    no i wouldnt
    No because I'm 5ft1 with muscles the size of broad beans. I could probably take down a small child...
    in the vast majority of cases no

if it was something i really felt strongly about then yes probably, although id probably go down the safer route of beatin em with a big blunt object, hittin myself a few times then saying i took it off them in self defence :angel:
    only if it was in a really obvious situation where there were a large number of peole around to back me up - like a terrorist on a plane or someone going a bit nutty in the supermarket - but in those circumstances i would expect a number of us to be joining in.

I once locked a naughty cat that was trying to break in to our house to steal our cats food up in our garage over night - thats sort of a citizens arrest - i just wanted to get some sleep really - he was so daft though when i let him out in the morning he rolled over to be tickled
    nah
    Citizen arrest like in a vigilante arrest?
    Just ordinary....like if you were to see a crime being committed. In general would you make one if you saw a crime being committed?
    becks27 wrote: »
    Just ordinary....like if you were to see a crime being committed. In general would you make one if you saw a crime being committed?

Can't make arrests in a legal sense, because only law enforcers has the right to do that. But while I'm sure no one would be convicted of helping out until the police gets there, I'd probably try to help people getting assaulted or something if there were a few of us. But I do think everyone have to experience it in order to know what actions they really do take.
    well safety is paramount so if you were to think unsafe then it would be unwise not help.
    I would if i thought it necessary.
    Depends on the circumstances, I'd have to be pretty sure they were actually committing a crime - because unlike the police I wouldn't have any legal back-up if I made a mistake
    In the UK, any member of the public has the power to make an arrest (under section 24 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984). In reality, collaring someone bang to rights isn't always going to persuade a criminal to come quietly, but you are still entitled to give it a go under the following circumstances:

If you witness a crime of any kind taking place - from a bag snatch to an art heist. Should you witness someone in the act of breaking the law, you are entitled to intervene.
    If you know someone is guilty of a crime - your housemate admits that he buried the landlord under the patio. He has a wild look in his eye, and there's blood all over his hands. Nick him.

this is what this site says.....

I would only if I thought I was not in danger.....
    surely you'd have to physically grab and restrain the person, ive heard of people bein charged for assault for less?
    I have made a citizens arrest before, gentleman being chased up the street by a couple of slow moving (they were running) coppers. Shouting "stop that man" as he had just glassed someone.

One semi clothes line/rugy tackle later, the gentleman is on the floor with me kneeling on his back, and then the real police turn up and properly arrest him!
    Trouble is, it's always a question of context-had to deal with this one shop lifter who I had to chase down the street to retrieve a jacket; and no other person helped! When I got the jacket off him it was covered in flaky skin...Also, we had a habit of getting people who were high in the shop, so if he had something on him he could've attacked me with, legally it's my fault for chasing after him (or so the police told me). Yay go stringent H&S laws!
    z- wrote: »
    surely you'd have to physically grab and restrain the person, ive heard of people bein charged for assault for less?

:yes: You'd probably be the one who ended up in court
    MrG wrote: »
    I have made a citizens arrest before, gentleman being chased up the street by a couple of slow moving (they were running) coppers.

I always laugh when interviewed police always speak of the criminal as a 'gentleman'.

Gentleman? FFS! :lol:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Good luck to any citizen that tried to arrest me. :D
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    Good luck to any citizen that tried to arrest me. :D

Give me a ring next time your smashed and i might try :thumb:

ps as long as I can bring a friend :lol: