Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

My life is utter tits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 34, left school at 17 to do a YTS course as a Police civilian worker which lasted me 3 years and I've never had a set career per se.

At the moment I'm an Outside Broadcast Engineer for a radio station which means I set up the equipment for OBs and monitor output at the studio which sounds very cool but I assure you is only about 10% as interesting as it appears. The money is alright I guess but the radio industry is on its arse at the moment (this is why so many radio station use networked shows) and I work on a self-employed basis - I submit an invoice for the work taken and my contract can be ended at any time with no notice. Due to my family circumstances I can never leave South Wales (ok I can leave but I can't move away).

Anyway I really need a change. I fancy getting in to something like therapy, or counselling. To be honest I'm also attracted to journalism.

Where do I start?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Freelance it!!
    Journalism is one of the best and easiest things to get into. There are so many different websites to get you started - try Helium.com. Also, what about starting a blog? All of these ideas get you some coverage and experience. Then maybe look into blogger jobs etc =]
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    Freelance it!!
    Journalism is one of the best and easiest things to get into. There are so many different websites to get you started - try Helium.com. Also, what about starting a blog? All of these ideas get you some coverage and experience. Then maybe look into blogger jobs etc =]

I already do a blog - and what a pile of self-righteous cryptic shit that is - but it's my pile of self-righteous cryptic shit. It's not good enough for anyone to be impressed with though, I only write short pieces.

But surely with journalism you need qualifications or experience behind you? I appreciate your advice though.

What about councelling or therapy, how do I get in to that?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I already do a blog - and what a pile of self-righteous cryptic shit that is - but it's my pile of self-righteous cryptic shit. It's not good enough for anyone to be impressed with though, I only write short pieces.

But surely with journalism you need qualifications or experience behind you? I appreciate your advice though.

Hey, good to hear your getting writing practice with the blog - as for qualifications and experience, check out this training section on the hold the front page website - it's a really good resource with lots of great tips.

Although the main thing with journalism is absolute drive to want to do it and perseverence with editors etc. Also a willingness to have your writing ripped to pieces to get things right.
    What about councelling or therapy, how do I get in to that?

You can find out more about this on the British Councelling and Psychotherapy (BACP) website here. :)