Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The stupidity of gun laws in America

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Well you just came up with a pretty good reason yourself. A gun is capable of inflicting greater damage to greater amounts of people much easier. And that is why it should not be in the hands of members of the public.

Incidentally that principle is used by everybody- including the US- to determine what weapons should be restricted or banned altogether. The only difference is where do different countries draw the line of what is acceptable.

But its not guns or gun control per say that directly effects the murder rate, Canada is awash with guns, but their murder rate is much lower than the US.

Better gun control in the US would probably help a bit, but in reality there are much more fundamental issues of society which need to be looked at.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    50 is an impossibly high number, but judging by the news that reach the UK, a lone nut case taking 3, 5, 8 people at a mall or an office in the US is not exactly unheard of. The same person with a knife wouldn't get reach such tallies 9 times out of 10; they'd be overpowered well before that. Indeed, the lack of a gun will in itself be a deterrent for a few would be nutjobs who might be less inclined to attempt a rampage with just a knife.

Those cases are so overwhelmingly rare in the overall gun crime rate that they could hardly serve as a good basis for legislation. Most deaths involving guns are inter-personal conflicts, not kill crazy rampages, even if those are what get the most media attention.
  • Options
    Another example of a kid getting hold of a gun.

How many lives have to be taken before guns are banned?
  • Options
    Double post. Please delete.
  • Options
    The Doctor wrote: »

Perhaps the most disturbing thing about this story is not the killing itself, but the fact that an 8 year old kid has been charged with murder.

There really are some seriously fucked up things in that country...
  • Options
    The Doctor wrote: »

They will never be banned. At least not while we keep our same government. And that is something many of us are actually thankful for. Even if there were, hypothetically, enough votes in the congress and the states to repeal the second amendment, firearms are one of those things that prohibition couldn't get rid of. The domestic black market trade would just sky-rocket.
  • Options
    If every Jewish and anti-nazi family in Germany had owned a Mauser rifle and twenty rounds of ammunition and the will to use it, Adolf Hitler would be a little-known footnote to the history of the Weimar Republic."
    Aaron Zelman
  • Options
    Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women should have to fistfight with 210lb. rapists."
  • Options
    Can you be against gun ownership whilst supporting your countries right or need to have atomic weapons ...or even standing armies?
  • Options
    "I have yet to hear anyone afflicted with the gun control disability dial 9-1-1 and specify, Now please be sure to send the kind of cops who are disarmed. If you can't do that, we'd rather you not send anyone at all to stop the men who are holding my daughter at knifepoint, because in this household we don't believe that guns ever solve anything."
    VIN SUPRYNOWICZ

Good night.
  • Options
    Can you be against gun ownership whilst supporting your countries right or need to have atomic weapons ...or even standing armies?

Indeed. Apart from totalitarian countries (where the army also fights its own population) the army isn't a means of protection from internal issues, but from external enemies only. And it doesn't have to be a question about private gun ownership in the US either, because even in many european countries people with a clean record may claim gun ownership if you are an active member of a shooters society. But the difference is what kind of weapons you're allowed and to some extent what prerequisites you have to fulfill in order to purchase a weapon. In many US states, you have the right to buy automatic weapons for home defense purposes. And the crime associated with these weapons was going up.
  • Options
    "I have yet to hear anyone afflicted with the gun control disability dial 9-1-1 and specify, Now please be sure to send the kind of cops who are disarmed. If you can't do that, we'd rather you not send anyone at all to stop the men who are holding my daughter at knifepoint, because in this household we don't believe that guns ever solve anything."
    VIN SUPRYNOWICZ

Good night.

It's a good point, but only relevant in an armed society. We do alright in this country sending unarmed coppers to people wielding knives, and if it happened to me I wouldn't really expect anything else.
  • Options
    what has happened to people fighting like men used to fight?

What has happened to educating society?

Why does any crime happen? Not just gun crime that is affecting society.
  • Options
    becks27 wrote: »
    what has happened to people fighting like men used to fight?
    You mean with their fists instead of weapons? If so, that's a valid point which can be used against the liberal gun laws in the US. Too often there's a firearm involved over there if you asked me.
    What has happened to educating society?
    Care to elaborate on that?
    Why does any crime happen? Not just gun crime that is affecting society.
    There will always be crime around unfortunately. There will always be resourceful people around and then less resourceful people envying them. Poverty will always generate crime.
  • Options
    It really explains itself...either by parents educating their children that it is not cool to use a gun....or schools could help. Or local communities helping one another ...
  • Options
    T-Kay wrote: »
    You mean with their fists instead of weapons? If so, that's a valid point which can be used against the liberal gun laws in the US. Too often there's a firearm involved over there if you asked me.

Care to elaborate on that?

There will always be crime around unfortunately. There will always be resourceful people around and then less resourceful people envying them. Poverty will always generate crime.

Poverty is not always why crime is committed. I know of young people who committ crime and they come from wealthy homes.
  • Options
    It really explains itself...either by parents educating their children that it is not cool to use a gun....or schools could help. Or local communities helping one another ...

I agree, all this is good, but there will always be trigger happy people around that won't comply to the normal "ethics" or standards and more liberal the weapon legislation will usually mean more people having access to firearms and then more crime involving firearms. For example, there are many who means it is a good idea to arm police officers on a general basis, but officers being injured or killed by their own weapons is big problem in the US.
  • Options
    well at least we do not have weapon fairs.
  • Options
    Poverty is not always why crime is committed. I know of young people who committ crime and they come from wealthy homes.

I agree, I've seen that too, but these youngsters may suffers from other problems making them "distinct" from the rest of us. Poverty in this context doesn't necessarily mean short on money, but also shortage of other more "personal" resources, such as the ability to do well in school and have a network of friends etc. Persons or a group of people that are isolated are very often prone to commitment of crime
  • Options
    well educated young people seemed to get kinda get overlooked...what do you mean by personal resources?
  • Options
    well educated young people seemed to get kinda get overlooked...what do you mean by personal resources?

A personal resource can be anything that helps you get on with others and have a decent life, like the ability to work and/or study, good social antennas so you get on well with others. Simply the means to "function well" in society, that's why I tried to extend the poverty definition to include some non-monetary assets that I think affect crime as well :)
  • Options
    funnily enough I am studying that at the moment....how young people could get on with each other.....but there is nothing in place over here in England still that will help them....society gives them a label wether they are poor or not....all young people have this stigma against them....and they are always getting into trouble.
    I certainly cannot tackle this problem on my own I believe we have to work together to try and help. Yes, government laws need to be more secure and yes why should unarmed police go to a scene where there has been a shooting. I am sure that they would call in special armed police if the gunman was still alive. America is a law unto themselves.....