Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Redundancy - What to do?

JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
Basically, I'm being made redundant again but have been given some options - but frankly I have absolutely no idea what to do in the situation at all.

In short, I joined this company in March but the credit problems mean they are halving the staffing levels in the office - they have made everyone redundant and making everyone reapply to work on a set shift pattern - none of the part time patterns fit around what I can do ideally (they are all short evening shifts which poorly fit around my uni timetable, the job is also nearly 20 miles away). The manager from HR did say that I could apply one of the part time roles with a footnote that I couldn't commit to the set hours and if needs be they would 'try to accommodate' what I can work. She did say however she was 'unsure' how redundancy would work in this circumstance if I applied for a job if my hours needs couldn't be accommodated. In an ideal world I would continue working, especially as I cannot afford to be without work and the redundancy offer on the table is lousy.

I was informed this on Tuesday evening and was told I had until end of business tomorrow to decide whether to reapply for my job or whether to take voluntary redundancy. I've been spinning this round in my head for the last two days and just have no idea - the HR woman seems very cloudy on certain subjects - so maybe one of the legal boffins on here could help?

1) If I were to apply for a position but with the footnote that I would be unable to commit to the set hours - but the company wouldn't/couldn't accommodate this would I still be entitled to the redundancy offer originally offered from a legal perspective?? The HR woman couldn't confirm either way. Similarly if I were to reapply for my role and then find employment elsewhere - what would happen if I was to drop out of the selection process prior or after a new offer of employment being made?

2) If I do take redundancy or are made redundant would I still be entitled to take any hours of paid holiday I had accrued to that point but had not taken? How about sales commissions?

3) My employer is already aware of my intentions to leave the company in April/May next year in order to concentrate on my finals at Uni. Are they allowed to take this into account in the selection process? If I were to be offered a position would I have any obligation to remain with the company for any period of time or could I still leave as usual (obviously getting no redundancy)?

4) This will be my second redundancy within 12 months, my CV will look a bit like this:

Company ABC June 2002 - November 2007 - Reason for Leaving: Redundancy
Company XYZ March 2008 - November 2008 - Reason for Leaving: Redundancy

How is any future employer likely to react to seeing that on a CV? (ie: Redundant twice within a year?).

I just don't know what to do for the best in the situation really so some answers to those questions would be so appreciated. As I said I've been spinning this around in my head since I was told and I just don't know what to do for the best. :crying: :mad: :grump: :impissed:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are PLENTY of part-time jobs about. The fact that this job is 20 miles away and taking up this part-time job could jeapardise your degree if the shifts conflict with your university lectures answers the question whether or not you should stay there really. You are in your final year of Uni. Don't work somewhere which is going to make you fall behind and get in the way of your studies. Also, what were you telling me last week? About how much you hate the job. The answer is pretty obvious to be honest. Get down to the agencies, claim your holiday pay (if you can) and get a new part time job. There are shit loads about especially in a university area like you are. Plenty of bar jobs about and stuff. Have a look around. Also, will you even be entitled to redundancy? You've haven't even been there a year. As for your CV, why would a employer judge you? The credit crunch is hitting most companies now so most employers would realise that being made redundant was nothing to do with your ability to do the job well.
    ACAS is your best bet for redundancy advice, the law can be quite complex. As for being made redudant on your CV, most people wont be that bothered if you can explain why.
    Can't comment on the redundancy bits, but we see loads of CVs where the reason for leaving is redundancy - and we honestly think nothing of it; I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Our site has been through two administration periods (basically, company went bust, made 400 redundancies, bought at last minute before everyone else went, then went bust again.. repeat all and carry on!) so we know it happens and it's no fault of the employee concerned - some of our longest workers along with some of the shortest went last time, purely because the dept they worked in closed down.
    Also you don't always hve to give the reason for leaving on your CV i only ever say if asked.

I would reaply and tell them that you can't do set hours - or possibly say you can do 2 days a week and then float for the rest it migth be in their favour to hve someone who can pick up the odd day here or there.
    i;d reapply anyway. just been through a similar thing and it turned out that too many people applied for redundancy in the end.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Well I've had no real choice but to reapply but mentioning the hours I can work, have to wait and see I suppose!
    Just wanted to say thanks to those who dropped me help in the thread and also by PM.

I've been in for the second meeting today and been told told that: "at this stage in the consultation process it is extremely likely that your (my) role is to become redundant".

Looking like next week is to be my final week. Oh well!
    Aw James, I'm sorry :(
    sorry to hear that james
    unlucky dude, i find out monday if i am chosen....if i am i'm gonna squeeze them for every last penny lol.
    Aw, poor JsT. A virtual smooch might make it better? ****%&$^(****
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    That's shit mate.

It's on the cards for me too. Found out last week that 3 of the 8 people in my department are going to be out of a job this Friday.
    Im bloody good at my job, but I was last in and they wouldn't have to pay me any redundancy pay so I don't really know where I am. I do know that I it wouldn't be a good time to have to look for another job and there's a chance I might be brassic for Christmas. Nice.

Good luck though.
    Weekender Offender 
    Aye good luck to you as well mate!

I'm just about 50/50 pissed off/upset right now but ho hum!
    Really sorry that you guys are being made redundant at this time and at such a what is supposed to be festive time of year.
    Took me a year to find a job and its only for 6 hours a week and when I look at the job plus pages it aint looking good for anyone. Even jobs being advertised for 2 hours a week or less and short term contracts.
    I do feel for you both as I know how hard it is to get work and being out of work is even worse but hopefully both of you will be able to get work pretty soon.
    Sorry to hear that Skive
    I didn't see this earlier.

I am confused why it is being sold as voluntary redundancy. If the company are shunting your job, there's no voluntary about it. This can be important because you can't sign on if you voluntarily take redundancy, but you can if you are compulsoraily made redundant.
    Well its all been confirmed today anyway, I have a very excitingly named 'Termination meeting' on Friday afternoon. :thumb:.

I fucking hate meetings.
    You getting any pay off?
    MrG wrote: »
    You getting any pay off?
    Not enough to make it worth my while!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I managed to keep my job thank fuck.
    It's upset a few of the guys who've been there longer but it wasn't based on that. I feel relieved but a little sad for the other guys at the same time. Out of 8 of us 4 ended up going, one of them only buried his mum yesterday.

I was fortunate but some of my mates havn't been. Most of my mates are in the building trade and are suffering. I went up the pub all cocky and happy only too fin out 2 of my best mate have got the redundancy talk today.

It's a shit time, Good luck to anybody that has job worries.
    Weekender Offender