Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Poor state of rented house

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me and my boyfriend rent a small 2 bed terraced house. We rent it through the letting agency which means we contact them when there's a problem, although i have the landlord's number she is quite hard to get hold of

Basically the roof has been leaking since late August, it's in the landing upstairs and when it rains it drips thought quite bad. The plaster on the ceiling is saturated and the wallpaper and bits of plaster is coming down. Roofers have been round twice to 'fix' the problem yet 2 and a half months later it's still leaking badly. As a result the house is damp and all our clothes have gone mouldy

There's other problems that need fixing, the front door handle comes off in your hand when you open and close it, can't get hot water unless the heating is on, and when someone came round to fix that all that happened was that the radiators don't get very hot any more. The pipe burst in the bathroom and the curtain rail in the back downstairs window fell down and they haven't put a new one back up

It's the ceiling thing I'm most bothered about because its ruining all our clothes. It's got past the point of just getting it fixed, I want some fucking compensation for living in a leaky, mouldy house because we pay our rent every month and it's just not on. It's costing us loads having to keep washing clothes that haven't even been worn

What can i do? I guess my first port of call is citezens advice but I'm finding it very difficult to get hold of them because I work full time. What about the council? Are they able to help?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it was me I would go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and see what they suggest :)

I'm sure they have to fix the basic things and you shouldn't have to pay and if they don't they are breaking there contract. Check your tenancy agreement too.
    They do have to fix the stuff according to the agreement but they haven't :(

Apparently to get rid of mould spores on clothes they have to be dry cleaned, I want to charge them for the bill but I don't know if I'm entitled to do that

Yeah I will have to get hold of citezens advice
    if you go to your local council and contact environmental health for private tenants they can do an inspection and force your landlord to get it up to standard. I had to do this recently. They still havent done everything needed but they did do the main stuff so it was worth calling.
    Ah thanks for that SCC. Yeah they really need someone to give them a kick up the bum

Is is also worth reporting them for letting builders let themselves into our house without giving us any notice at all? They just turned up and let themselves in and my boyfriend was in bed :mad:
    That happened to us all the time in my flat last year, and in my current flat. Plumbers, etc just wandering in whenever they feel like.
    Unfortunately I have a private landlord so there isn't really anyone I can get properly angry at..

kangoo wrote: »
    Ah thanks for that SCC. Yeah they really need someone to give them a kick up the bum

Is is also worth reporting them for letting builders let themselves into our house without giving us any notice at all? They just turned up and let themselves in and my boyfriend was in bed :mad:
    I have a private landlord and I intend to get properly angry
    hi kangoo,

Sorry to hear your problems.....i live in rented accommodation too. Our landlord is a cowboy. We have no heating at the moment due to the fact he bases heating being on around working tenants.
    We have major damp problems too which he will not fix, a gas fire that was condemed by the gas board. We have major problems and I will not let him get away with charging us rent for this.

The council do a check but you need to inform your landlord and they can then come and survey and serve a notice. Until he has done the work the notice will stay there.

You can contact the citizens advice locally they will be able to help too I hope as I am going to make an appointment tomorrow.

It is sad that these landlords get away with things but as tenants we do have ways of getting help.

If you like I will get angry with you?
    You guys (and gals) should talk to Kermit on the boards, he despises landlords more than anyone else I know.
    becks27 wrote: »
    If you like I will get angry with you?

Yay! :mad: :banghead: :mad: :banghead: :mad: :grump:
    :banghead: ...there should be more protection for tenants against landlords who get greedy and provide inadequate accommodation.
    Just been to the citizens site there is loads of info...I suggest you read it to it might help?
    We have to do something to stop these cowboys.....

We have to stand united!!!
    My landlord is dodgy and always gets dodgy people to come and fix things. We have wires trailing everywhere in our kitchen from extension leads cause the plugs broke.
    Among many other things.
    Hmm..looks like I need to get angry too! Grr! :mad:
    we cannot have dodgy landlords I am sick and tired of them and there should be more us tenants can do.
    I have problems galore with mine and I tell you I will take him to the cleaners as he does not seem to clean up with the problems that we have.
    mines completely shit. My house is falling to pieces and she does nothing. It was originally with a letting agency but she decided not to continue with the letting agency after about a year because they kept asking for things like leaking roof, dodgy boiler etc to be fixed. The landlady eventually got our boiler changed after it broke 7 times in two years and the last plumber to mend it said he wasnt touching it as it was unsafe - she eventually got her DAD to fix it, who isnt even corgi registered but he subcontracted someone else to do that part of the job, so what should have taken two guys maybe a day to fix, took about 7 people a fortnight, and they left the place where the old boiler was in a total state. My house is an embarrassment and ive come to the conclusion it is always going to be that way. Im not prepared to do all the work on it myself because its rented, so am looking to move now
    and i will laugh at her so much because she'll never get anyone else dumb enough to rent it unless she drops the price a lot. With the credit crunch there is so much choice for renting as noone can sell their houses. She wont stand a chance
    same here suzycreamcheese...we need to move but I have to got to the stage of not wanting to get rid of the damp in the kitchen the shower.....and we are still without heating as he says he bases the heating on working tenants. My partner is off work through ill health and this situation is helping him or me. Other tenants claim benefits.
    He said that he will not replace the condemend gas fire. My list is endless of landlord who should be stopped renting....have heard to that his other properties are the same.
    We should all stand united!!!
    If it were me I'd stop paying my rent until they fixed it they'll soon notice you when the money dries up.
    you wouldnt have any rights in law if you did that.

I believe they are seperate issues
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If it were me I'd stop paying my rent until they fixed it they'll soon notice you when the money dries up.

You can get a CCJ if you do this though. I always thought the prudent choice also would be to withhold payment until the service is provided but GWST who knows quite a lot has said before it's generally a bad idea because it can land you in trouble.

With anything else though witholding payment pending proper services / goods would be standard fair. (i.e. food - Restaurant rights: the bill)
    I understand that would be good in the tenants books but not in the landlords...see there is something else they have to hold you on. If you do not pay rent then you may find yourself being evicted and you would come worse off.

I find it strange that there are all these governing bodies to help landlords but where is the REAL help for us tenants. I would like to see something done to give us more protection ie...if they get funny because we complain. I also want something more inplace as a forum so people can scream at the pc...when trying to look there are loads of forums for landlords.

We have to stay united!!!
    becks27 wrote: »
    He said that he will not replace the condemend gas fire.

Which is illegal as all letted properties should have a yearly gas inspection and any problems fixed. That alone is worth a phonecall/complaint to your council.
    we are going to contact our landlord tomorrow as we have several issues we need to discuss with him. I just cannot believe that there are these awful dispicable people who want something for nothing...ie my rent money...not going to give in easily.

If he does not provide the right answer then we will seek further assistance and they can serve him with a notice. I also want a rebate today as we have had no heating.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    You can get a CCJ if you do this though. I always thought the prudent choice also would be to withhold payment until the service is provided but GWST who knows quite a lot has said before it's generally a bad idea because it can land you in trouble.

With anything else though witholding payment pending proper services / goods would be standard fair. (i.e. food - Restaurant rights: the bill)

You are right of course, but I'd have thought that the landlord is supposed to be providing a service, one which you are paying for but not recieving?
    Apparently they didn't fix it last time because its been raining, so they're coming this week when it stops. I asked for them to foot the bill to pay for all of our clothes to be dry cleaned as they are mouldy and it's very difficult to get rid of the spores and he agreed

SOOOOOOOOOO FUCCCKKKKKIIIIIIINGGGGGGG STRESSED OUT!

Want to cry :crying:
    kangoo wrote: »
    Apparently they didn't fix it last time because its been raining, so they're coming this week when it stops. I asked for them to foot the bill to pay for all of our clothes to be dry cleaned as they are mouldy and it's very difficult to get rid of the spores and he agreed

SOOOOOOOOOO FUCCCKKKKKIIIIIIINGGGGGGG STRESSED OUT!

Want to cry :crying:

Calm down - at least you're possibly moving closer to a resolution and they've agreed to foot the cleaning bill.
    Oh My God. Painters came into today without the landlord letting us know they were gonna be here. They did a gash job. The electricity in the kitchen is still fucked and now the boiler is broken.
    ARGH!
    g_angel wrote: »
    Calm down - at least you're possibly moving closer to a resolution and they've agreed to foot the cleaning bill.

Lol I am calm, I'd just had enough last night, water kept dripping on my head, the house was bloody cold. Was a wee bit stressed.

I still feel a bit cheated though, that they've taken so long to fix it