Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

going back to uni - nurse training..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
well this is something i've been thinking about, and just wondered if anyone had any experience of this..

im currently in my mid twenties (not old honest), considering going to uni to do nurse training, my sister is in the last year of it and absolutely loved it.

obviously the burserys are a bonus and she's had no problems finding part time work to subsidise her bursery. Either through working privately or as bank staff for hospitals. good pay if you get a few night shifts in, which wouldnt bother me.

i'd be going for mental health nursing

the main reason im thinking about it, is because i dont want to stay in my current job, cant find anything else satisfying.

the bonus is obviously this sort of thing would set me up for life with a decent career...

anyone any thoughts?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• FizFiz Deactivated Posts: 44 Boards Initiate
    Hi LuckyStrike it sounds like this is something you are already fairly sure you want to do, is it something that has been on your mind for a while? Having a change of career or taking a different path in life can be a bit daunting at first. Be sure to talk to as many friends and family about it as you can, they?ll be the best people to advise you and offer you support and encouragement either way. If your sister is already doing it, it sounds like she?d be the best person to really let you know what you could expect. You might also want to think about your current job and what about it you are not enjoying and do like, if you feel comfortable doing so you could also talk to work colleagues to find out if there is anything else you can get involved in at your current work place that would make it more fulfilling for you. Also think about what will be involved in the job after you have finished the training as this is the bit that you'll spend most of your time doing in the end. Essentially you want to be sure that if you do decide to do something different you have confidence in your decision.

Ultimately you spend a lot of time working in life so I think it is important to do something that you enjoy or find fulfilling. All the best with whatever you decide to do.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm in my second year of a nursing degree. I'm doing a paediatric nursing nursing degree so the workload is pretty intense. I find myself struggling financially, but only because I chose not to have a PT job (I'm not entirely sure where I'd fit it in!).

It was mainly theory first year (up till easter) and then pretty much out on placement 5 x a week. Earlies were 7.30-3pm, lates are 1.30pm-9pm and I've not done a night yet. My current placement I tend to do long days which start at 9.30am and end at 9.30pm. I have to leave 1hr30mins travelling time though, which I meant I was out of the house from 8.15am-11.20pm yesterday (and what a headache I had at the end of it!).

It's brilliant though, I LOVE my course :D

MH training sounds fantastic, I couldn't chose between child and MH but I'm glad I'm doing child now.

Best of luck hun :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Everyone I know who does Mental Health nursing loves it! I'd say do it I know people who have started there training in there 50's, if you want to do it go for it!

I'm currently in my final year (I qualify next may :nervous: ) and I can't exactly say I've loved my course but it's been okay. Just not wat I thought it would be!
    I much prefer placement than uni. I tend to do long days which are generally classed between 12 and 15 hours depending and trust area, it just means you get more days off in the week than doing short shifts!
    It is possible to fit in a part time job, I've done it all through my second year and all through this year, placements are generally understanding and will fit shifts around them. Most cases you only do 1 weekend in 4 so it works pretty well and you aren't expected to do nights. I've done a few and they can be hard but you get into the routine!
    Another alternative is to join the bank at your local hospital, nursing home or even in the community as a care assistant. It's good money and you can pick your shifts!

Have you definatly checked you will getting a bursery? I know many unis are stopping the diploma and just doing the degree. With the degree you get a means tested bursery and a loan but it's not as much as the basic diploma bursery. I get about £520 a month from my bursery but a friend who is doing midwifery and has her own flat only gets a monthly income of £375.