Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

flying to new york...cheap flights/ holidays to mexico

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
me and bf are thinking about taking a trip to new york early next year for my birthday (and so he can visit his dad who lives there).the cheapest im finding flights is for about £350 each for return tickets. is that cheap? im a bit clueless as i haven't travelled further than europe :blush: also, what airlines are best for direct flights. lots of flights are coming up as 1-2 stops and there are some that do direct flights. i'd much rather have a 8 hour flight than something much much longer as i dont like flying! also, is early year the best time to go as i dont want it to be freezing so may decide to go later on in the year.

eta: we are also planning on possibly taking a holiday in may to mexico to celebrate our first anniversary after his sister said how lovely the place was when she went this year. cancun seems to be the most popular place but will this be full of american teenagers like some websites say? also, apart of virgin and other holiday makers, are there any other good deals about? we'd only be planning on going for a week as i get really homesick, lol.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That's probably about on the money, as you're not booking them a long way in advance.

BA and Virgin are the two main carriers. I've never had issue with either.

You'll also find the flight home is an hour or two shorter :)
    In the summer holdiays the costs literally double. We're looking at going for our honeymoon and it was about £350 from October but before that was more like £700.
    I got a flight on virgin last new year for around £220 but it was going out between christmas and new year which is a bit of an unpopular time for that route as its normally mainly for business and I booked really early possibly August/September time - i would say that £350 was probably about right.

Cancun is indeed full of american teenagers, giant hotels and american restaurants - however you can get cheap flights there from the UK and then go further along the coast to somewhere much more chilled out and mexican. Another alternative if flights are looking expensive is to fly to LAX and hire a car and do the Baja Penisular - or you could get the bus or train if you don't drive (to train you'd need to go to San Diego and then get over the boarder that way)
    Aren't Ryanair supposed to be doing flights to the US for £8 soon ?
    United Airlines flies from Heathrow to LAX starting at around £270
    RubberSkin wrote: »

Oh they are i'd forgotten - starting after christmas now zoom has gone bust but i can't see anything on thier website about it
    RubberSkin wrote: »

That was announced before the economy went downhill.

Also the biggest problem is getting enough long haul jets to fly that sort of distance.

Most of the kinds of planes RyanAir has already would run out of fuel before they go to New York, They'll need new planes but most of those kind of planes are not available until 2012 as boeing and AirBus have so many back orders to fill. RyanAir might be able to buy 2nd hand aircraft from airlines that have gone bust tough.

But don't be expecting any cheap flights to the USA just yet.
    it was announced this week but your right about them betting on other airlines going bust in order for them to pick up customers and planes on the cheap

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/nov/04/ryanair-airline-industry-transatlantic-flights

I thought i should just point out that the main expense with going to new york isn't the flights its the hotels they are all stupidly expensive if you want to stay in manhattan - think a minimum of $200 a night for somewhere crap and upwards of $400 a night for somewhere OK with a nice hotel starting somewhere in the region of $500 - $600 per night
    What Ryan air dont tell you, is the extortionate extras they charge, like paying extra to be able to book in, paying extra for the taxes, i know that taxes are unavoidable, but i like easyjet where i get what i see kinda thing.
    So could I book two round trip tickets off of them and then just use the ones I need to travel to England and then back to New York. Even with any the extras beat the $1500 for a ticket I find :p
    trip to new york and mexico

I've traveled several times in the States with Virgin America and I think they are a cut above most of the other airlines--although they aren't necessarily the cheapest. They also offer many direct flights and I agree with you---a direct flight is much better than stopovers.

Most teenagers that go to Mexico for Spring Break go to Cancun and Mazatlan---definitely to be avoided if you're traveling at that time!