Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Madrid

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Going to Madrid in 3 weeks time - any recommendations on things to see and do there - places to go out at night?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I looooove Madrid. Been quite a few times and definitely one of my favourite places in the world.

Some highlights:

- The Museo del Prado (one of the best art galleries in the world)
    - The Galeria Reina Sofia (where Picasso's 'Guernica' is housed)
    - Parque del Retiro (lovely park)
    - The Estadio Santiago Bernabeu (try and get tickets for a match, if not, the tour is excellent)
    - The Palacio Real (Royal Palace - stunning in a word) and the Cathedral opposite
    - The Puerta del Sol

And a couple of my favourite non-touristy places.

- Cafe Populart (on the Calle de las Huertas, just off Plaza Santa Ana). This place has live jazz/swing/blues every night of the year from 11pm-2am. Drinks aren't that cheap but entry is free and the bands are always superb. Whenever I go to Madrid, I make a point of going here at least once.
    - The Penthouse Bar (on top of the ME Hotel located on the Plaza Santa Ana - it's my favourite barrio of Madrid. Well, it's a penthouse bar, the women are stunning and the views are espectacularrrrrr!

Hope this helps! Very jealous of you!
  • Options
    Is this the place mentioned?

http://www.populart.es/
  • Options
    My advice would be to go in the tourist information places, for example, the one in the Madrid train station, thats what we did, and there very helpful, give you a map, they mark the places to go making it really easy to find, i dont know the names but we see some lovely places, cathederals, castles...

youll have a good time, lake gardas nice too.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Is this the place mentioned?

http://www.populart.es/

Yup, that's the one. Sadly the site is in Spanish so may be a little tricky to nativate unless you sprechen the lengua. Click on "Programación" to see what groups will be playing when you're there (though they only have October). Seriously go to the Populart - it's amazingly cool.
  • Options
    again mate what are you trying to say. What has this got to do with places to go in spain....and louis vuitton again and again and again????
  • Options
    Well I returned from my trip to Madrid and have to say I found it an interesting city. The Metro system there is so much better then in London and so much cheaper - 1 euro per journey or 7 euro's for a ticket valid for 10 journeys.

I was shocked at how close people can live to a metro stop and just simple things like how you're free to walk into a school on a weekend and use their football and basket ball courts. Whilst in the UK those kind of things would probably be locked up for fear of someone falling and suing the school or criminal damage.

The only really awful thing about the city is that smoking is still allowed indoors and the cigarettes in Spain seem to be so much stronger then in the UK.