Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lewis Hamilton wins Formula 1 drivers championship

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
YES YES YES!!!!!!

After having Jensen Button as the Tim Henman of motor racing, its nice to see the english win something other than the champions league (which was won by a bunch of foreigners)

My best moment of this years F1, would have to be watching the Ferrari team celebrating like mad nutters, and looking like utters nobs, then realising they hadnt actually won!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Massa was robbed :(
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    He did well all season so I'm glad Hamilton one - but am I the only one who thinks Glock pulled over delibrately at the end?!
    Awesome, awesome stuff. Gone off F1 over the years but thought i would give this race a watch.

Couldnt believe he nabbed it right at the death!
    JsT wrote: »
    He did well all season so I'm glad Hamilton one - but am I the only one who thinks Glock pulled over delibrately at the end?!

He was on dry tyres still and it was wet, he just lost the grip he needed to carry on at that speed.
    That's unless the FIA can tell us that he's to be dq'd for causing unnecessary rainfall or something...

Gripping stuff, if you'll excuse the pun.
    MrG wrote: »
    After having Jensen Button as the Tim Henman of motor racing, its nice to see the english win something other than the champions league

Was that not the British flag flying after he won, or now he's won something is he English? ;)

I'm not his biggest fan to be honest. Saying that, it made my day when square face Coulthard went off at the first corner in his las ever race :thumb:
    Well done hamilton. A superior achievement for a man of his age.
    glock seemed to be doing okay on the dry tyres until he lost 18 secs in the last lap, either the rain got worse or he didn't really fight to hold 5th position. either way it would have been harsh to lose the title that way so i think lewis deserves it.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Absolutely. Mind you I bet Massa was fucking gutted!
    I like Hamilton a lot and its great that he won it with his ability but i still cant get over the feeling that hes a bottler, last year he had to finish the last 2 races to win, screwed up the first then had to finish above 7th and came 9th.

This year he won on the last corner due to a mistake of another driver, otherwise he would have lost it again, hopefully this victory will make him more confidant that he can do it without luck shining down on him :)
    Excellent race, heart in mouth stuff at the end!

Also loved Ferrari celebrating before realising they'd lost hehe!

SnuggleBubbles..... Which Driver made a mistake?? If you're talking about Glock then I can't see a mistake being made which has allowed Hamilton to win....Glock stayed on dry tyres when Hamilton pitted to go onto wets...thats the only reason Glock was in front of Hamilton, Glock took a gamble which looked like it was going to pay off but on the last lap their was too much water and Glock was struggling to keep control of the car and had to slow down dramatically allowing hamilton to pass! Hamilton only passed him on the 2nd to last corner i think and ended up 5 seconds in front of Glock which shows just how slow Glock had to go!
    I heard a nasty rumour that the team told hamilton to let the other guy past, knowing full well that if he didnt, there might have been a collision, and that they thought they would get past glock, which they did.

x2w19i.jpg
    1386821hamilton-f1.gif
    I heard a nasty rumour that the team told hamilton to let the other guy past, knowing full well that if he didnt, there might have been a collision, and that they thought they would get past glock, which they did.

x2w19i.jpg
    1386821hamilton-f1.gif

=)). nice pics. very very very good
    SnuggleBubbles..... Which Driver made a mistake?? If you're talking about Glock then I can't see a mistake being made which has allowed Hamilton to win....Glock stayed on dry tyres when Hamilton pitted to go onto wets...thats the only reason Glock was in front of Hamilton, Glock took a gamble which looked like it was going to pay off but on the last lap their was too much water and Glock was struggling to keep control of the car and had to slow down dramatically allowing hamilton to pass! Hamilton only passed him on the 2nd to last corner i think and ended up 5 seconds in front of Glock which shows just how slow Glock had to go!

Glock and his team made a mistake, and fair enough he was only in front because he did not pit, but hamilton screwed up on the second to last lap by going down to 6th.

Its like he gets a simple target then horribly fails to get to it like last year, got nothing against lewis hamilton but he has to get tougher like Mike Schumacher though to be fair hes only young and will hopefully do this again in the future :)
    Glock and his team made a mistake, and fair enough he was only in front because he did not pit, but hamilton screwed up on the second to last lap by going down to 6th.

Its like he gets a simple target then horribly fails to get to it like last year, got nothing against lewis hamilton but he has to get tougher like Mike Schumacher though to be fair hes only young and will hopefully do this again in the future :)

But if they were sure that they would pass Glock, then why risk getting hit trying to stop someone over taking you?
    But if they were sure that they would pass Glock, then why risk getting hit trying to stop someone over taking you?

Nothing is guaranteed in racing - as Ferrari know now - and the main reason to stop someone overtaking you is so doubters like me are shut up.

I guess i have a Tim Henman Complex :p We boost someone up and up and up until they become living legends without winning anything - when Hamilton does this again i will be quiet, until then ill be a mumbling doubter :grump:

I wouldn't say Glock and his team made a mistake, they took a gamble which very nearly paid off! If they would have pitted then they would have finished behind Hamilton anyway, so no mistakes made IMO, just a gamble that if the track had being half a mile shorter would have paid off and Hamilton wouldn't be World Champion.

Simple Target?? Horribly Fails?? Hmmmmm

Finishish 5th in an F1 Grand Prix isn't a simple target! Going into the last race 7 points clear isn't a simple target! Winning the F1 World Championship isn't failure!

Hamilton was slow all weekend and so was the other Maclaren! Hamilton didn't screw up by losing a place to Vettel; Vettel was quicker than Hamilton, he had being the whole race / weekend and his team assured him he would get past Glock so instead of battling with a car who was quicker and having a chance of an accident he's not battled so hard!

Its a lot more tactical than just racing round a track!
    You can wrap things up in words like 'gamble that didnt pay off' instead of saying it was a mistake for the purposes of disagreeing with me thats cool :p does not change my opinion.

When i say simple target to come 5th or higher it is taking into account that Hamilton was driving one of if not the fastest car on the grid, also taking into account that he has huge ability as a driver and is a refreshing change as he is someone who will :eek: overtake :eek: other drivers! - also taking into account his past record of top 3 finishes in the past, its not that hard a task for someone of his ability.

I dont really know what was more priceless, him winning or watching the ferrari team when they realised he had won :crying: :crying: :crying:
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    When i say simple target to come 5th or higher it is taking into account that Hamilton was driving one of if not the fastest car on the grid, also taking into account that he has huge ability as a driver and is a refreshing change as he is someone who will :eek: overtake :eek: other drivers! - also taking into account his past record of top 3 finishes in the past, its not that hard a task for someone of his ability.

In interviews afterwards he expalained they wern't running as much dowforce as most of the othercars meaning he didn't have speed on the corners that Vettel had meaning he could't overtake.

He missed out on the title last season for not being cautios enough. The title is awarded to the most consistant driver of the season not the most agressive.

In football you don't put 11 strikers on the pitch hoping to score lots at the expensive of letting a lot in.
    Weekender Offender 
    Ok so they were not trying to win the race, i apologise for acting so stupid and assuming thats what racing was all about. :yeees:

Mclaren and Hamilton made no mistakes and eveything that went wrong this season was someone elses fault and all the luck that came his way was down to people taking gambles and them not paying off!

I can be so silly sometimes :rolleyes:
  • Flake_MustaineFlake_Mustaine Posts: 1,261 Wise Owl
    Great for Hamilton.

Massa had some technical failures during the season that lost him some points. He'll be one to watch next year; did you see him on the podium at the end? - He knows he can be champion!

I wonder how the big changes for next season will affect all the teams..
    You can wrap things up in words like 'gamble that didnt pay off' instead of saying it was a mistake for the purposes of disagreeing with me thats cool :p does not change my opinion.
    Not silly but you are coming across as close-minded and stupid lol

Not for purpose of dis-agreeing with you "a gamble that didn't pay off" is not a mistake! You tell me what would have happened if Glock hadn't gambled??
    My answer - Glock would have gone onto wet tyres meaning a pit-stop costing around 25 seconds in total and come out of the pits behind Hamilton!
    I still don't see where the Glock mistake is - instead of just saying he made a mistake why don't you explain yourself, and explain what you mean by Glock and his team making a mistake?
    Ok so they were not trying to win the race, i apologise for acting so stupid and assuming thats what racing was all about.
    Like I said previously - its more tactical than just racing round a track in a fast car.
    Mclaren and Hamilton made no mistakes and eveything that went wrong this season was someone elses fault and all the luck that came his way was down to people taking gambles and them not paying off!
    Huh? Don't think anyones said that!
    When i say simple target to come 5th or higher it is taking into account that Hamilton was driving one of if not the fastest car on the grid, also taking into account that he has huge ability as a driver and is a refreshing change as he is someone who will overtake other drivers! - also taking into account his past record of top 3 finishes in the past, its not that hard a task for someone of his ability.
    Not the fastest car on that track in this weekend, the car just wasn't set-up right for this track.
    Just because Mclaren and Hamilton have had the fastest car at some tracks doesn't mean its the case at every track, lots of settings and lots of things to go right / wrong - once again more about F1 than just getting the fastest car and racing round a track :rolleyes:
    Not silly but you are coming across as close-minded and stupid lol

I respect your right to an opinion and ask that you respect my point of view without pathetic and cheap little digs.

I refer you back to my 3rd post, cant be arsed getting into personal crap about something like this.
    I respect your right to an opinion and ask that you respect my point of view without pathetic and cheap little digs.

I refer you back to my 3rd post, cant be arsed getting into personal crap about something like this.
    Lol accepted but I was only messing with that comment.

So..no explanation as to what mistake Glock and his team made?
    Lol accepted but I was only messing with that comment.

So..no explanation as to what mistake Glock and his team made?

Staying on dry tyres in wet conditions.
    The Doctor wrote: »

Simple as.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Ok so they were not trying to win the race, i apologise for acting so stupid and assuming thats what racing was all about. :yeees:

For any of the drivers, the title is a bigger prize than any individual race.
    The title is about being the most consistantly good driver, it's not about throwing caution to the wind in an attempt to win every GP.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    In football you don't put 11 strikers on the pitch hoping to score lots at the expensive of letting a lot in.

Man City do.
    The Doctor wrote: »

I wouldn't have said that this was a mistake, it was a choice that very nearly paid off, as already mentioned had he pitted to change tyres he wouldn't have had any possibility of finishing in front of Hamilton, this way it all came down to the last corner of the last lap...
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Saying that, it made my day when square face Coulthard went off at the first corner in his las ever race :thumb:

I actually thought that this was really quite sad especially as he had dedicated the race to charity.
    Splodgey wrote: »
    I wouldn't have said that this was a mistake, it was a choice that very nearly paid off, as already mentioned had he pitted to change tyres he wouldn't have had any possibility of finishing in front of Hamilton, this way it all came down to the last corner of the last lap...
    :thumb: Saves me explaining.....again (simple as) :)