Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Malta

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Was on my way back from Madrid and picked up the inflight Magazine that had an interesting piece about Malta and how they are redeveloping the entire place into a new kind of silicon valley - does anyone live there or been there recently?

Anyone recommend it for a holiday or even to live?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    from what i have heard from friends is that Madrid was a good country to live in...but not been there to know. You fed up with london?
  • Options
    I went there the other year, loved it but not sure if I'd wanna live there just yet as things weren't quite finished so to speak. The electricity kept cutting out and roads just stopped without warning lol.
  • Options
    becks27 wrote: »
    from what i have heard from friends is that Madrid was a good country to live in...but not been there to know. You fed up with london?

I think you mean Malta .. but yes I am looking to move somewhere new after spending my entire life apart from the time at Uni here.

I want to live somewhere with nice weather (not to hot or cold), near the sea and perhaps where I don't (at least immediately) need to learn a new language in order to earn a living.
  • Options
    I've been to Malta lots, it's a great little country.

The first thing to know is it's quite small - less than 20 miles from one end to the other. Despite the size, just a few years ago it took much longer than expected to drive around, due to the poor roads. However now the road system is generally good. The public transport is pretty good too, you can get to all the towns relatively easily. The buses can get pretty sweaty in the summer though.

Everyone speaks English so you wouldn't have a problem communicating. The language isn't that difficult though, and most locals speak Maltese between each other.

Malta is fairly quiet - I wouldn't go if you're expecting a lads' holiday. If you do want to go clubbing, the best place is Paceville (pach-ey-ville) which is near St. Julians. They have lots of crazy Med style clubs and bars there.

Generally it's smallish towns with interesting architecture, bars and restaurants. The best beaches are in the north, at Mellieha and Armier. If you want to go shopping or enjoy the cities, go to Bugibba and Valletta.

In terms of history Malta is very rich. The capital Valletta has many things to see, you could easily spend a couple of days exploring. The city is contained within a castle wall, and you can walk all the way around the edge in an hour or so. Each town also has a church and its own annual festa, where they celebrate with a parade, band, fireworks, food, etc. It's well worth checking where the local festas are on near where you're staying.

That's all I can think of for now - let me know if you have any specific questions!
  • Options
    I'm more interested in knowing what it's like from a day to day point of view rather then a holiday.

Work, electricity, housing, transport, internet connection, etc.