Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

A song that changed your life...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi Everybody,

I thought I'd start a topic that's quite interesting to me. What song would you say changed your life or affected you in a way that perhaps you weren't expecting?

A friend of mine made a decision to stop taking drugs (heroin) as a result of listening to an embrace song really loudly. I finally let go of a lot of the anxieties I felt after having been mugged while listening to Doves 'There goes the fear'. :eek2:

Music can be such a force of nature and affects you in ways you really don't understand. Just wondering if anyone wants to share a story of a fantastic or even rubbish song that really changed things for you.

Though I think the most important music for me was listening to a Def Leppard album on a tape that someone lent me while I was in primary school (around 8years old) and I really remember listening to it and thinking 'wow - love the guitar and drums'. Now Def Leppard are reasonably cheesy but they are the reason I like the music that I do! They'll always be special to me! :thumb:

Feel free to share! :yippe:

Lisa
:)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    many many many songs...

i did a cover version of pennyroyal tea and all apologies by nirvana when i was a lot younger as my first demo tape...that kinda set me on the "i want to be a singer" route

the whole of the play album by moby was very important to me when i was younger, got me through a lot.

big calm by morcheeba reminds me of the last time i can remember being a proper kid, when i was living in portugal and very poorly

hurt and through the void by NIN are always songs that bear bittersweet memories as i tried to do some very dangerous things whilst listening, but some how those songs kept me back...

enjoy the silence by depche mode is another thats a bit like that but because i have lovely memories attached to it.

Angel by massive attack keeps me going when it all feels too much...
  • Options
  • Options
    High - Lighthouse Family - my mum used to put it on every day before we went to school and it reminds me of her whenever i hear it.

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley - quite a personal one that i will save for another day

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd - got me into them and ive never stopped listening!

We Came Along This Road - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - incredibly depressing but in a good way..
  • Options
    everybody hurts = REM

in my life - the beatles
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Happy Rollers - 95 Style
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IFSf1MzZvbo&feature=related

A tune my mates brother first played to me. Changed my life style. Once I heard that I raved most weekends for the next 10 years. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The Changingman by Paul Weller helped me get through my recent break-up, which was quite a bad one at that. I was devastated and I still have my moments now, but I think it made me realise that I was in a bit of a rut in the relationship anyway, which was had become pretty unloving by that point anyway. maybe I was subconciously 'waiting for the bang'.

By the end, I was still in love, but it was with someone so destructive and, to be honest, rather ugly on the inside, which was just confusing, ala 'The more I see, the more I know - the more I know, the less I understand'.
    I just think it sums me up after this rocky experience. Life's not over, it'll just change me, and perhaps that's not really a bad thing.
  • Options
    Gold Dust by Tori Amos.
    A line from the song is even tattooed on my arm.
  • Options
    Glide- (from the film All About Lily Chou Chou sang by a lady called Salyu) beautiful song

The Beatles- Dear Prudence