Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Commuting....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I'm moving back in with my dad and thus I am currently looking for a new job that I can commute to London to. I get a better wage, spend less on travel than I would on rent and have all the comforts of home.

However as I currently live in London do I mention the move to potential employers or do I say I am at my current address and then tell them just before I move. Will people refuse to employ me if I commute? I'll be commuting from Portsmouth so it's do-able but it may put employers off.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    commuting from portsmouth to london everyday would kill me but if you're sure you can do it good luck. i wouldn't mention it to employers straight off, i'd actually recommend trying it for a week before you give the london pad up to see if it works.
    Sadly I cannot afford the pad anymore. This is my crunch time. I've got creditors harassing me and this is the only way to recoup my losses. That and there aren't many media sales jobs down in Portsmouth. :(

I mean getting up early and travelling sucks but 2 hours each way sounds terrible but in London now I'm still commuting an hour and a half to my current job. Blahhh
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I dont think London employers will object too much to commuters, I think very few employers expect their staff to come from the local area.

I'd be personally more concerned about time and cost - Working a 9-5 you are realistically talking about getting a train about 0630 and not getting back into Portsmouth till after 7, plus a season ticket is very expensive (£365 per month). Mind you from what I've heard some people do regularly commute the distance!

Have you thought about other places out of London that might be quicker, such as Basingstoke, Southampton, Brighton?
    Sadly, Portsmouth/Fratton is my only option really. My dad used to commute from Arundel everyday and said although it was stressful at times it was worth it for a good area.

As for the cost of the season ticket, it's still cheaper than my current rent here without bills, council tax and everything on top of it. I'd be cutting my monthly outgoings by about 1/3 just by being there.

There are certainly commuters and it's not a permanent thing really. Six months to a year max. Hopefully by that time I will have cleared enough debt to be able to live in a better area of London.

I'll just have to start reading lots of books on the train hehe
    Man I'm grateful for my 5 minute drive to work!
    Sadly, Portsmouth/Fratton is my only option really. My dad used to commute from Arundel everyday and said although it was stressful at times it was worth it for a good area.

As for the cost of the season ticket, it's still cheaper than my current rent here without bills, council tax and everything on top of it. I'd be cutting my monthly outgoings by about 1/3 just by being there.

There are certainly commuters and it's not a permanent thing really. Six months to a year max. Hopefully by that time I will have cleared enough debt to be able to live in a better area of London.

I'll just have to start reading lots of books on the train hehe

Sorry, I meant in terms of looking for work in those places, not living there :)

All Portsmouth commuters are miserable bastards from what I've heard, so no change from anywhere else really :rolleyes: :lol:
    Plently of people commute from the south coast up to London. Your not even much better off looking for a job Brighton way as the trains journey isnt that shorter then too London.
    Brighton area does have massive commuter numbers, as does places like Farnbrough, Basingstoke etc, Southampton and Portsmouth don't have massive commuter numbers - which will work in your favour getting a seat in the morning, in the evening you will struggle at least some of the way to get a seat.

For completeness here are the season ticket prices Portsmouth to London for 1/3/6/12 months:
    PSS - SEASON STD 1 Months 0 Days SWT
    00000 - ANY PERMITTED

1 Adult 365.60 = £ 365.60

Standard Class Season
    To : 1072 LONDON TERMINALS
    PSS - SEASON STD 3 Months 0 Days SWT
    00000 - ANY PERMITTED

1 Adult 1096.80 = £ 1096.80

Standard Class Season
    PSS - SEASON STD 6 Months 0 Days SWT
    00000 - ANY PERMITTED

1 Adult 2193.50 = £ 2193.50

Standard Class Season
    PSS - SEASON STD 12 Months 0 Days SWT
    00000 - ANY PERMITTED

1 Adult 3808.00 = £ 3808.00

Standard Class Season
    Thank you for the ticket prices. That's really helpful as I'm working out my budget at the moment. I'm not too bothered about sitting down on the way home though, I'm sure it'll grate on me in the future but considering the squash that the tubes get at peak times I think it might even be a breath of fresh air haha!

And PB, tell me about it. I used to live really close to Brighton when I was younger but as there was no direct train there a 30 minute drive took over an hour on the train! Madness.
    No Worries - if you need times/reliability or anything else looking at just let me know.
    :) Ty