Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Synesthesia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
any other synesthetes out there i have never talked to another one before... :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i just wiki-ed it cos i didn't know what it meant, but thats really interesting...

I wonder how many people with dyspraxia have it as well...

I kinda understand when they were talking about seeing music as colours and such....
    You could check with Monserrat, he's got a whole website and stuff.
    yeah monserrat has synaesthesia
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Only after a good dose of Fly Agarics.
    Weekender Offender 
    I don't have it, but a "2" is always yellow, regardless of context. Dunno why
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I don't have it, but a "2" is always yellow, regardless of context. Dunno why

Same, I don't have it but some numbers and letters have really distinct colours regardless of context.
    i just wiki-ed it cos i didn't know what it meant, but thats really interesting...

I wonder how many people with dyspraxia have it as well...

I kinda understand when they were talking about seeing music as colours and such....

what is dyspraxia by the way i havent heard it??
    Skive wrote: »
    Only after a good dose of Fly Agarics.

lol you joke but after a few joints my syesthesia goes nuts with everything. seriously i can picture almost anything, sound, emotions, places, situations, as pictures and 3 d shapes. i like drawing emotions when im high, its really interesting to look back at when i sober cos i sti8llunderstand what they mean.
    its a neurodiversity, some call it a learning difficulty but in essence it means that your brain is wired differently to the majority of people, and you learn differently...a bit like dyslexia but with movement and the organisation of ideas.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Dunno if it's related, but sometimes when I've to pick between shapes like circle, square, triangle (in some questionnaires for example) I tend to think of "blue, green or yellow" instead.
    Dunno if it's related, but sometimes when I've to pick between shapes like circle, square, triangle (in some questionnaires for example) I tend to think of "blue, green or yellow" instead.

that sounds like a form of synesthesia to me. are the same shapes always the same colours without question?

i think alot of people have mild synesthesia, more than realise it. i didnt realise i had it untill i was talking to my mum and i got really confused when she didnt understand that to me the days of the week were colours.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    that sounds like a form of synesthesia to me. are the same shapes always the same colours without question?
    I think so. I'm not sure right now what they are, it's been some time since I last noticed it, but I remember noticing they were the same.
    It's not that I literally see the shapes as colours, mind. Only when I think about how many of each I picked (in the example I used), and I'm not looking at them.
    ooh I see minutes as circles and hours as squares as well!
    I know someone who always says the same colour for any object you mention as their mother. So say - oblong or or Monday crane or airplane and they'd both say almost exactly the same colour. Fascinating stuff - wasn't it a big part of Kandinsky's attitude to art?
    I'm starting to feel weird that I have absolutely none of these brain assocations with colour or shape or anything :p. I see numbers but not in any way like a shape lol.
    Hiya. I've got Syn, and the link is in my sig :-)
    These are on my site too, but for easy-linking, these are how I see letters, numbers and musical notes: (yes, I have perfect pitch)

s-letter.jpg

s-number.jpg

s-note.jpg
    I never realised this was so common... I feel boring now!
    Sometimes I look at a word or letter or whatever and it reminds me of a person's face.
    If a sound makes you see a particular colour, how is the colour manifested in your vision? Do you see a flash of colour, or something else?
    Monserrat wrote: »
    These are on my site too, but for easy-linking, these are how I see letters, numbers and musical notes: (yes, I have perfect pitch)

s-letter.jpg

s-number.jpg

s-note.jpg

thats mad as fuck!
    Yes, the colours manifest themselves around my vision.