Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is alcohol a dangerous drug?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    <deleted>
    <deleted!>
    deleted
    deleted
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    There is certainly some truth in that, but I dont think that supermarkets selling alcohol as a loss leader really helps the situation.

As you know Budda, alcohol is a lot cheaper on the continent.
    It's been getting cheaper and cheaper here the last few years but ...i'm happy with that.
    Millions upon millions of drinkers are happy with that.
    So a handful of idiots should dictate legislation effecting the millions?
    This year i read a book ...The Gangs of Liverpool ....
    alcohol induced violence and crime.
    Innocent people being kicked to death in the streets.
    Muggins and robberies on a huge scale.
    Mostly driven by alcohol.
    This was in the late 19th century.
    Todays problems almost pale into insignificance.
    The prohibition of or the tax approach are unworkable unfair and not needed ...or wanted.
  • Options
    Yes it is cheaper in some parts of the EU, but then they as a society tend not to drink like us.

I certainly dont want prohibition, I just want the current rules to be enforced properly, and restrictions on promotions which mean you can buy alcohol for less than milk.

I want a ban on advertising because alcohol is a potentially dangerous product, same as we shouldnt advertise gambling or prescription drugs.
  • Options
    Have not read the thread, but yeah alcohol, along with most other drugs, can be dangerous.

Also, like most other drugs though - it can be pretty nice !
  • Options

I want a ban on advertising because alcohol is a potentially dangerous product, same as we shouldnt advertise gambling or prescription drugs.

Ah, but here you're probably thinking of something known as persuasive advertising, where the company tries to get someone to buy their product by means of an advert. There is also informative advertising, which provides the consumer with information about the product. Do you think both types of advertising should be banned?
  • Options
    WLH wrote: »
    Ah, but here you're probably thinking of something known as persuasive advertising, where the company tries to get someone to buy their product by means of an advert. There is also informative advertising, which provides the consumer with information about the product. Do you think both types of advertising should be banned?
    Is there really a difference?
  • Options
    Is there really a difference?[/QUOTE

i think they are very similiar and most forms of advertising are probably a mix of each.
  • Options
    WLH wrote: »

What sort of adverts are you thinking of then, 'Stella, it comes in cans and bottles and gets you pissed'.

The whole point of advertising is to increase demand, we shouldnt be pushing potentially dangerous products on to the public, if they want them they will seek them out.
  • Options
    Stopping promotions or raising taxes will not change peoples behavior.
    They will still get shit faced.
    Those with less money might struggle to do it a bit more but those with sod all anyway don't really get to do it as often as those with the pennies.
    The trouble doesn't come from the poor who taxes will effect more than anyone else.
    The trouble comes from people who are earning money.
    As for people with serious drink problems as opposed to people with anti social behavior problems ...they will still get the booze but will have even less to spend on food and warmth.
    Those sorts will just die quicker and colder.
  • Options
    Those with less money might struggle to do it a bit more but those with sod all anyway don't really get to do it as often as those with the pennies.
    The trouble doesn't come from the poor who taxes will effect more than anyone else.
    As for people with serious drink problems as opposed to people with anti social behavior problems ...they will still get the booze but will have even less to spend on food and warmth.

yh goes back to another thread. if you made clean smack legal on the nhs then poli drug users will just spend more on crack ect.
  • Options

I'm not in favour of raising taxes on alcohol drastically at all, I think what the government has laid out for the next few years seems about right.

I think a ban on advertising of alcohol would send out a key message, that it isnt just this harmless drink which helps you get laid.
  • Options
    I think a ban on advertising of alcohol would send out a key message, that it isnt just this harmless drink which helps you get laid.

Can't argue with that.
  • Options
    Is there really a difference?

Have you ever seen the Think! adverts on TV warning about drink driving? That's an example of informative advertising.

While the advert for Foster's that you also see on the TV is an example of persuasive advertising.
  • Options

Of course, the reasons why people get drunk in this country may be more to do with culture rather than economic reasons. It doesn't tend to be the case so much in places like France and Italy, and they are not notorious for being poor countries.