Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Legal adivce and death

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

I've recently had a bereavement where the person who had no plans, no will, so I want to be prepared! I have several questions, which if anyone could help me with, would be brilliant.

-I would like a natural burial- the nearest site is in Brighton, and I'm in Worthing- about 45mins away- would it still be ok for me to be buried there? Unless of course any others are made inbetween times.

-I am on the organ donor register, but am aware that my next of kin can still refuse this- and the natural burial- how do I go about ensuring that I have my wishes? Any legal document?

-I'm not looking at writing a will at the moment, as I don't feel that I have anything worth a lot apart from shares and a car.

thankyou

Comments

• Options
    Worthing and Brighton is fine. Usually you can organise for a Brighton funeral home to take care of it (May I recommend Caring Lady by Brighton crem, they did my mum's funeral and it was really lovely, bit premature but you know ;)).

Would your next of kin refuse this? Even if you specifically made the request? Maybe speak to them about how important this is to you. Maybe you can specify it in your will that on your death they will be contacted etc in order to prevent this?
  • Options
    Thankyou.

I think that they may refuse it, especailly the part about organ donatation. I'm not certain about how they would feel about the natural burial, but I have spoken to them and told them what I would like.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote: »
    I'm not looking at writing a will at the moment, as I don't feel that I have anything worth a lot apart from shares and a car.

Get it done anyway. You never know what and when death may strike you. Even if you leave everything, for now, to your parents for simplicity's sake, the winding up of your estate will not take so long with a will, thereby avoiding additional burden on your family during their time of grief ... Plus, the longer the estate takes to wind up, the more the lawyers get.
    your-babe wrote: »
    I think that they may refuse it, especailly the part about organ donatation.

Have you made it clear to them that no matter what they feel, you want to be an organ doner? If they know you are adamant about that request in life, I can't see them going against your wishes in death (unless you are a Jehovah's Witness or something .. )
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Teagan wrote: »
    G Plus, the longer the estate takes to wind up, the more the lawyers get.

This isnt really the case any more. Most places have a fixed fee.

However that is irrelevant.

If you feel so strongly about something, I would find it hard to believe that they would refuse it.

Can I ask, what is a natural burial?

I personally, wouldnt bother with a will. I would just speak to your mum and dad and whoever else you think should now

Under the rules, they would get your bits and bobs any way, so whilst you dont have any larger, or more sentimental assets, I would hold off paying any 'unnecessary' legal fees
  • Options
    A natural burial is simply where you are placed in a decomposable coffin, and buried, my Granddad has an apple tree growing on him.

I am quite tempted to look at doing a will, just because of the amount of grief and problems we've had, and like you say, it prolongs grief and causes more pain. Probate is def. something we didn't need.

Thankyou!