Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How do i sew in an elastic waistband into a skirt?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have googled it but not found anything i could make sense of...

no interfacing, just the elastic, in a circular skirt with not zipper...and i can't press anything as its PVC

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You'll have to bear with me here, because I've not worked with PVC for a very long time but when I did, I didn't put a waistband in. Partly because I was told it would go all 'bunchy' and secondly because the fabric had enough 'give' for me to wear it comfortably without one. Kinda like how latex skirts don't have waistbands, but less stretchy of course. Have you already made the rest of the skirt? Can you get into it without? If not, you could also unpick your sewing and add an extra panel in, so that it fits without the need for the waistband. If you do decide to go with the elastic waistband, make sure that the elastic and the skirt stretch the same way.

Hope this helps and makes sense in some way!
    its one piece and i can easily get into it, thus the need for the waistband
    Which kind of elastic were you thinking of using? I'm not sure but if you got some gripper elastic you could just handsew in into the top of the skirt so that it grips onto you. I haven't made anything ages, sorry I can't be more help, I'm just trying to imagine what would work.
    its about 1 cm wide, and ribbed? I'm sewwing a tunnel for it now on advice from one of my fashion student neighbours...
    Good luck! At least you can blame someone who should know what they're doing!
    finished! looks pretty good! just need to do the top now!...i'm gonna be up late as i've offered to do tea runs until late for the neighbour as she's doing an all nighter to get her project finished
    Well done! Good luck with the top! I wish I made things more often but my mother doesn't trust me not to screw things up :( in fairness, she does have some very good equipment.
    its about 1 cm wide, and ribbed? I'm sewwing a tunnel for it now on advice from one of my fashion student neighbours...

Aye, I would have just folded over the top few cms and sewn, leaving a wee gap, and then threaded the elastic through, knotted it, and bob's your uncle.