Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What to do with an unwanted, non-returnable dress

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought a lovely dress from MotelRocks.com (it's the Marianne dress in black if anyone wants to have a look), I bought it in Medium which normally fits me from there and I used a promotional code to get 15% off. Unfortunately when it arrived I tried it on and it's too tight round my ribs :( It just doesn't look right on at all. The problem I now have though which I only discovered on reading the paperwork with the dress, is that they don't do returns or refunds on sale or discounted items - which includes items bought with promotional codes. I don't know what to do - should I ring them and beg in the hope that they bend the rules? Or am I resigned to putting it on Ebay? In which case, does anyone have any tips on how to get the highest amount possible for it - the dress was still £45-odd with the discount code and although I know it's my own stupid fault for impulse buying, I really don't want to lose too much on it if possible, especially as it's new season, brand new and unworn with tags and very pretty :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you buy online I'm sure you're still allowed to return it even if it's sale or discount because of the 'cooling off' period.
    I don't know, the website and the paperwork seem fairly categoric :( I don't know how I could have missed it, I seem to be living up to my username at the moment. I suppose I should just ring them but I'm worried they'll be rude to me!
    i would ring them and ask if you can swap it for the next size. I cant think of any reason they would say no. Tell them how much you love the dress and its just what you were after but unfortunatly you have got the sizing wrong.
    They wont shout at you
    The cooling off period applies to (nearly) everything bought online - it's purpose is to allow you to examine the item as you would have in an actual shop before deciding whether to purchase it. I'm pretty sure you still have these rights with sale products but I can't find anything on the net to prove it (although sale items are not listed in the 'what you can't return' lists)

I'd ring them up and ask for a refund and if they say no then say that you're going to seek advice as you believe they are in breech of the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. Just because they write it on their T&C doesn't mean it's legal. I'd also write them a letter straight away asking for your order to be cancelled because it needs to be in writing

I'm only 99% sure that you're entitled to return sale goods, but if they won't let you anyway then its not going to do any harm!
    SCC - the thing is it's not just the tightness round the ribs that's the problem, otherwise yeah I'd definitely do that (it's good advice, cheers). The style just isn't very flattering on me, it would suit someone with smaller hips and bigger boobs which unfortunately I can't do much about! I don't really get why they won't give me a refund on a discounted dress, I don't see why it makes a difference in the grand scheme of things :confused:

Kangoo - cheers for that. I'll have to give them a ring and see what they say first of all I guess. Why do I need to ask for my order to be cancelled though - isn't it too late for that, as the dress has already been delivered to me?
    I meant that you have a right to cancel the order up to 7 days after you receive it, not stop it coming lol
    I'd give these bad boys a ring, they probably know a little more than me :)

Consumer direct line 8:00am – 6:30pm: 08454 04 05 06
    in that case, i would ask if you can return it for credit or swap it for something else. I think if youre nice on the phone then most of the time they will want to help.
    in that case, i would ask if you can return it for credit or swap it for something else. I think if youre nice on the phone then most of the time they will want to help.

Yeah, I was hoping that too. I'll give them a call and see what they say...I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for all the advice :)
    If you're happy to take credit then that might make it easier for you but I still think that you should be allowed a full refund

I've just read their T&C on the website and it says nothing about not returning discount items. Did it say it on the paperwork that came with the dress? In which case its definitely illegal and you should ask for a full refund.

You can point this out to them on the phone if they are unreasonable
    Right, I am TOTALLY confused now! It DEFINITELY said on the receipt that came with the dress that discounted items were non-refundable and non-returnable. I'm positive about that. And I'm almost sure when I looked on the website after reading that, that it said the same thing - but now it doesn't say that anywhere!! They must have changed it. That's so weird. I'm definitely going to ring them, but it looks like my luck may have changed. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the detective work kangoo :)
    it still says it on the page of the marianne dress. good luck hun, i know how annoying it must be to have spent so much on a gorgeous dress and then not have it fit you :( i think thats such a stupid rule to have, i mean fair enough if it was in the sale but a normal dress thats current stock at the moment! how annoying.
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Right, I am TOTALLY confused now! It DEFINITELY said on the receipt that came with the dress that discounted items were non-refundable and non-returnable. I'm positive about that. And I'm almost sure when I looked on the website after reading that, that it said the same thing - but now it doesn't say that anywhere!! They must have changed it. That's so weird. I'm definitely going to ring them, but it looks like my luck may have changed. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the detective work kangoo :)

Haha it sounds like they are a little confused. It doesn't say anywhere on that trading standards link that you're not allowed the 7 day cooling off period for sale or discounted items so if they don't let you at least exchange the dress I'd stick to your guns and tell them that they're breaking the law.

Good luck!
    it still says it on the page of the marianne dress.
    Crap, you're right. I just told the woman on the phone that it didn't say it anywhere on the website too, whoops. She didn't correct me, though, and did say if I returned it I could have a refund - but then she said she'd ring me when she received the dress back from me so will probably tell me then I can't have a refund. I don't know what to do, if it only says that on the one page of the site and not in the T&C is it still valid?
    cut holes in it and make a halloween costume out of it.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    cut holes in it and make a halloween costume out of it.

Lol I do need a Halloween costume...but if I'd wanted something to cut holes in I would have spent £2 in a jumble sale, not £45 online!
    Crap, you're right. I just told the woman on the phone that it didn't say it anywhere on the website too, whoops. She didn't correct me, though, and did say if I returned it I could have a refund - but then she said she'd ring me when she received the dress back from me so will probably tell me then I can't have a refund. I don't know what to do, if it only says that on the one page of the site and not in the T&C is it still valid?

She's said you can return it now so just do that! Did you get the name of the person you spoke to?

Make sure you send a letter with the dress saying that you'd like a full refund and you spoke to someone on 30/10/08 at whatever time you called who confirmed that it would be ok to return the dress just to cover yourself

I don't think the T&C is valid anyway tbh, I don't think they can actually enforce the rule
    kangoo wrote: »
    She's said you can return it now so just do that! Did you get the name of the person you spoke to?

Make sure you send a letter with the dress saying that you'd like a full refund and you spoke to someone on 30/10/08 at whatever time you called who confirmed that it would be ok to return the dress just to cover yourself

I don't think the T&C is valid anyway tbh, I don't think they can actually enforce the rule

No I didn't get her name, thought of that the minute I put the bloody phone down. I will put a letter in with the dress though and will just have to hope for the best. At least I've learnt a lesson from all this...impulse buying doesn't pay...
    send it recorded delivery. It only costs about an extra quid
    and dont worry, they wont not give you a refund after telling you to send it back.
    Dont forget - theyre not doing you some big favour, this is normal. Dont get all anxious about it
    No I didn't get her name, thought of that the minute I put the bloody phone down. I will put a letter in with the dress though and will just have to hope for the best. At least I've learnt a lesson from all this...impulse buying doesn't pay...

Haha I always forget to get their name and remember as I've put the phone down

Good luck with getting a refund :) x
    send it recorded delivery. It only costs about an extra quid

:yes:

Do this!
    I will. I'll be packing it up tonight and will send it off tomorrow. Cheers again for all your help guys.
    Sorry to bump this, but just wanted to let you know that thanks to all your advice I got my refund :yippe: It was minus £4 which I'm guessing is the postage, but I don't mind that as I wasn't really expecting to get anything. So thanks all - now the search is on to find a new dress that does suit me!
    :yippe: yay
    woo im glad! so they should too, stupid return policies. :]

they have beautiful dresses in miss selfridge at the moment :D (well, i think so)
    I know, it is a beautiful dress - but I had the same problem as you. To be honest with you the sizes are hit and miss with Motel. I've bought a dress in medium from them before which fits me pretty well and have tried other medium dresses on in shops that have fitted fine, but this one was also a medium and was really really tight round my ribs (which is probably my skinniest area!) I tend to be a size 12 for dresses. That's why I didn't just return it for a larger size, because it probably would have been OK round the ribs then but too big everywhere else. Coupled with the lack of boobage, that would have been a disaster.

ETA: Firey Firenze, you're right, they do - and loads on their website too. Might check their returns policy before I order anything from them though!!