Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Availability of blue ray

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Our Stafford HMV have recently opened a blue ray department. Amazon's got it as well. Are the tables starting to turn in the format war or is the latter still hanging outside of consumer range?

I think that drives for the computer are still in the £100-£200 range. Not sure about the price of videos (films) yet. Has anyone here jumped onto the bandwagon?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    drives for computers cost <£75 in places now. Films are pretty expensive tho.
    If you have a PS3 and a HDTV then it's worth a look, there's generally a reasonable 2nd hand range in CEX
    Format war? HD-DVD has been dead since february when Toshiba abandoned it! Blu-ray is the only high-def format now. Arguably the future of HD is on-demand downloads to a HD set top box though. Physical media is oh so 2007
    Hmm.. I wouldn't call it "oh so 2007" when Amazon is only offering just over 2000 titles and eBay has got 200. I've only so far seen films from the 00s being ported. Any chance of having some back-titles ported?
    May I be dumb and ask somewhere what blue ray actually is? I've seen the films about and always wondered . . .
    *Ashley* wrote: »
    May I be dumb and ask somewhere what blue ray actually is? I've seen the films about and always wondered . . .

It's the new high definition film format from Sony. Holds much more data than a normal movie DVD.
    For music, there were records then tapes and now CDs.
    For video, there was VHS, DVD and now blue ray.

There were other formats around too like super-8, betamax and minidisc, but those 6 listed above are the main 6.
    Teagan wrote: »
    It's the new high definition film format from Sony. Holds much more data than a normal movie DVD.

So it just means that it is better quality to watch than a normal DVD?
    *Ashley* wrote: »
    So it just means that it is better quality to watch than a normal DVD?

Yes, if you have the TV that can show off the extra detail on the disc.
    I will say this - the decision to try and only use blu-ray's capacity to show movies in very high definition at a higher cost point is extremely short sighted.

What would tempt you more - being able to get an entire series of the Wire, Deadwood, House, West Wing, or whatever on one disc for £15 or... seriously you could probably get 15 of the best film-noir's on one disc and no amount of hi-def processing would mak them look better, just keep them in DVD quality and release them as a bargain pack.

Being able to get A Knights Tale or Universal Soldier for £20.

I think Sony and the rest need to decide if they want to create a new format that will really suceed or just try and get everything last penny from uninteresting middle of the road movies in their back catalogue.

Truth is the market is being run like it's UMD again - a format sold to a minority market (computer gaming early adoptors) and it's killing any chance of diversity or genuine innovation. And that innovation will come through proper online distribution instead - killing the market in the end.
    No, haven't jumped on that bandwagon. Although I find the quality better, there are still lot of older movies not available on blue ray yet. Also, it's not before you get a big screen TV you'll really notice. On smaller screens, even if the quality is higher, it doesn't justify the price just yet.

And for data, as Jim says, I think people will use HD's instead of a medium susceptible to scratches.