Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Late cc payment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm freaking out. I flat out just forgot. I don't have alot of credit. 1 mastercard and a couple store cards and thats all I've got to my name. My credit is only like 3 years old too. I've never been late on a payment, there has only been once where I havn't paid a bill in full and I've done everything good thus far I think. But I just flat out forgot about one. The bill was sitting on the table and I kept looking at it thinking, yeah, I'll get to that. And I never did. No reason. I was just flat out being lazy :( By the time I did it was 9 days past due. How bad have I fucked myself by doing this?

Comments

• Options
    I once forgot, the only thing that happened was that I paid some extra interest. :)
  • Options
    As far as I know it would count as a 'missed payment' which does affect your credit score... but since it's never happened before and you've almost always paid everything off in full I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think one mistake is particularly bad. But I guess you'll get charged a late payment fee... although phone them up and say it's never happened before, you're very sorry, you've had a very busy few weeks, etc and they might waive it. I've managed to get late payment and unauthorised overdraft fees cancelled that way... it only really works once or twice though.
  • Options
    Ah thank you. I know it seems like a stupid question but I don't know much about credit and who knows when I'll need it! Especially seeing as I'll need a new car soon and I thought I had a good amount saved up but apperantly I still can't get anything younger than me with likess than like 200,000 miles and then I'd ask for a loan and they'd say oh but you forgot to pay your target card and now we're going to murder your family and you can't have any money from us you deliquent bum.

And thanks for the idea on the late payment charge, didn't even think of that or look to see if there was one. Saving even a few pennies is worth it ;):)
  • Options
    Not too much to worry about. If you pay it all right now you may not even get a charge, given your previous payment history. I'd be tempted even to ring them and say what you've said here to try to get off of any late charge.
  • Options
    I was once 2-3 weeks late on an NTL (now Virgin) payment back in 2003, back in the days when I paid by cheque. Had a warning letter. I paid, then changed to direct debit and that was it. Had I not paid for a further 2 months, then it may have escalated to phone calls from NTL, then a court order if it grew much later still.
  • Options
    Ive been late loads of times. Not because I hadn't the money (I only pay the minimum) but just because I'm so forgetful.

Nothing happens apart from they charge you another £20.

Happy days :thumb:
  • Options
    I would suggest calling them, apolgosing profusely and say you were on holiday or something similar and weren't able to make the payment - if it is your first time they tend to cancel the penalty if you are polite about it!