Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New shopping complexes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
More shopping potential! larger than traditional town centre shopping centres. I have gone to out-of-town Lakeside in Essex and Bluewater in Kent for many years. This week a brand new complex of big stores and lots of smaller shops opens in the Westfield shopping centre in Central London. Who likes and goes to these massive complexes being built?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7682815.stm

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I love the Metro Centre, although to this day I still can't find my way around it. I don't really go to many shopping centres except the discount ones. That new one looks a bit too posh for me anyway!
    I like the new Westfield centre in Derby, brought in a number of shops that wouldn't have been in the city otherwise.

Initially a few of the shops in the surrounding streets suffered from a loss of trade and a few even closed, but i think now the novelty has worn off from the new centre people are going around it getting what they need, then venturing outside to the other shops, so they have probably seen an increase in trade lately.

Also what i love is that all the surrounding streets are undergoing improvements, the ones immediately leading to the centre were done around the same time the centre was opened, but now this is spreading, alot of streets have been cleaned, cleared out and opened up making them look alot fresher and more inviting.

But yeah i enjoy most of these complexes, Bullring, Meadowhall etc... tend to go to them, do a good few hours shopping, take the stuff to the car, grab a coffee, then go for a walk around the older shops on the streets near by
    i want to go but i'm shit scared that i'm gonna have a panic attack, because of how many people there will be. But i'm near brent cross and thats pretty good. but lakeside is a dump, i used to live very close, and worked there for a while and its crap. Bluewater is nice but hard to get to. white city is only 15 mins away by train so should be good, but i do like old non chain shops where you become friends with the owner...
    Whenever I go to the Trafford Centre, I never buy anything. It's just the same shops I have at home, but a bit bigger. What's the point? Plus you get more choice on the internet, they always have your size in stock, and it's usually cheaper too.
    i like the trafford centre but mainly because its just handy, it means if you work full time during the week you dont have to battle it out with everyone at weekends if you want to go shopping. you can go at night instead. i go so much, me and my friend would go like once a week at one point haha! i like going with my friends too and getting something to eat then go for a shop after. :)
    I have a terrible shopping complex, every time I visit one I put someting on my credit card.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Hahah!
    as said, i like trafford cos means i can go after work have a bit of tea and then shop for a couple of hours without masses of people dragging kids and stuff round the shops, i prefer it like that.

i only usually go tho if i have something particular in mind, im not a random shopper at all.
    The shopping complex where I live is just awful. We already had one, and all the hype and advertising with the new one made everyone think we were getting a trafford centre sort of thing but when it opened it was such a let down, most of the shops had just moved from where they were before into the new centre.