Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Student Newspaper wants an SU email sent to me - but has confidentiality footer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys.

In my role as sec for one of the uni's societies a student newspaper has approached me regarding an issue we had last year with the student union, specifically regarding funding. During which there was a dialogue through emails which the newspaper is allegeding the SU is denying, and so would like a copy as proof.

I would like to give them one as it's quite important for public accountability that they cant 'get away with it' so to speak, although its not the end of the world. But I don't want my soc to get in trouble by contravening the confidentiality footer. Here it is in it's entirety:
The information contained in this message is confidential and intended for the addressee only. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or altering of this message is strictly forbidden. You are advised to run your own virus scan before opening any attachment, and that you open any attachments at your own risk.

So I guess I would have to get authorisation from the student union before I can disclose the email? According to a website I found, these sigs especially the automatically added ones don't actually have any legal precedent / weight so they might as well be irrellevent legally - but I'm much more concerned about getting into the student unions bad books.

Your thoughts? Any legalese people?

Comments

• Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Hi guys.

In my role as sec for one of the uni's societies a student newspaper has approached me regarding an issue we had last year with the student union, specifically regarding funding. During which there was a dialogue through emails which the newspaper is allegeding the SU is denying, and so would like a copy as proof.

I would like to give them one as it's quite important for public accountability that they cant 'get away with it' so to speak, although its not the end of the world. But I don't want my soc to get in trouble by contravening the confidentiality footer. Here it is in it's entirety:

So I guess I would have to get authorisation from the student union before I can disclose the email? According to a website I found, these sigs especially the automatically added ones don't actually have any legal precedent / weight so they might as well be irrellevent legally - but I'm much more concerned about getting into the student unions bad books.

Your thoughts? Any legalese people?

Was it just sent to you - if not you could leak it on the condition your name is blanked out. or leave your computer with the e-mail on show when a journo is around
  • Options
    If the email was or to an official government organisation then it would be illegal to disemminate, forwarding it to unauthorised people would probably contravene the official secrets act, data protection, e.t.c.

In your particular case, whilst it might not be illegal I expect that at some point you signed a form allowing you access to the university computer network. I'd have thought that one clause of said form would be along the lines of you not forwarding emails e.t.c. to outside persons.
    I'd expect that if the university found out about it you'd probably lose your position and could find yourself out of the uni altogether, especially if you revealing the information damages them financially or reputationally.
  • Options
    It's not the university I should reiterate, its the student union. I'll just have to play it by ear - I've asked the SU comms officer if he minds me passing the emails on.