Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Uni absence & school truancy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
All studying requires attendance- comes to under 16 by law

Who skipped lectures at university and remembers the days of playing truant in secondary school?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    so far i've been three weeks and i've skiped half a lecture due to a head ache and a fucking awful stand in lecturer...

but i did play truant quite a lot when i got bullied...plus i was ill, so i went in maybe 2 days a week sometimes...

still managed 11 GCSEs all A* to C and triple distinction in my BTEC
  • Options
    I once had a two week course, skipped 9 lectures out of 10 and opened the textbook once. I also passed... :yeees:
  • Options
    Didn't in highschool, father a teacher there.
    Skipped more than I went first time around at uni
    Still manage a few times each class, though most of the professors count attendence as part of your grade, so I keep it to a minimum now
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I think I probably skip far too much of uni, should really make an effort to go.
  • Options
    Didn't skip school after year 8 (except for one occasion at the end of year twelve but I was dropping the subject anyway.) However, I did miss a fair amount of school between years 4-9 because of my competitive figure skating :blush: oh, and I spent a fair amount from year 9 onwards off for medical reasons (not being able to walk because of my back, generally.)

So far of uni, I've missed a seminar because I was throwing up everywhere and I may have to miss part or all of one next week, depending on how my GP appointment beforehand goes.
  • Options
    Very little missed at school, but I daydreamed enough to make sure I might as well not have been there ;)
  • Options
    At secondary school I was allowed to go in as I liked! My mum would come in to wake me up and I would say that I didnt want to go in today and she'd be like ok then. And I wouldn't go! I used to do it every single Wednesday because I hated my music teacher. She often just rang in ill for me! She said she couldn't be doing with forcing me into school - bad bad mother! I didn't take all that much time off and she knew I wouldn't for fear of falling behind and I didn't mind school. Or else she mightn't have been so chilled in the first place!!

At college I skipped a good few days, entirely of my own back and rang in for myself.

Didn't do badly in school or college either. 10 A/B GCSE's and DDM at BTEC.
  • Options
    My uni has mandatory attendance and you need a doctor's note if you're going to take even one seminar off- totally fucking ridiculous.
  • Options
    I didn't really skip school but I miss Uni now and then, like I will be doing tomorrow and having a lay in with the boy instead :)
  • Options
    Uni I only miss something if I'm ill and I'll be better off staying in bed and getting over something than dragging self in. But that was 3 hours worth in the last year so my attendance is pretty hot.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    My uni has mandatory attendance and you need a doctor's note if you're going to take even one seminar off- totally fucking ridiculous.

it's like that where I am now. Bit stupid really -like I'm going to go the doctors just to get a note because my stomach is playing up.:rolleyes:

I've only missed 1.5 days so far this year due to medical tests.

I did used to skip a lot of year 7 & 8 due to being bullied and nothing being done about it. (which I got moaned at for:rolleyes: )
  • Options
    Uni's a different kettle of fish, for most courses you can skip all the classes you want and only lose whatever percentage that course had for tutorial attendance. My first few years in uni were just dossing about but I'm making most of my classes these days.

Did the whole bunking off school thing as well, used to go to morning registration then run out the back and smoke spliffs all day long and then come back for afternoon registration bombed out of it, good times good times.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

I've got something similar too. Most just say they'll drop you a grade or something if missing too many days, or half a grade for every x amount of days you miss. I've got one class this year... 4 days and he fails you! :\
  • Options
    A level I skipped plenty and got away with it.

First year of uni I skipped more than I went to and ended up not understanding the course and having no structure, ended up isolated and stayed in my room all the time except to get food.

Looking back it was a waste of time, but maybe it knocked some sense into me.

Last year didn't miss very many at all, except the pointless imo revision sessions. This year I'm aiming for 100% attendance - not necessarily because the lectures are that good but I'm paying for them and I need the lectures to keep me motivated and not just sit on my ass watching youtube.

I recently gave a talk to freshers about some pitfalls to avoid as a fresher and said the major major thing was to go to lectures, because its just too easy to skip and end up not sure what you're supposed to be doing, or realising that you've not kept up with the course and have no way to feasibly catch up.
  • Options
    In second school I missed days due to illness but only skived off 1 day the whole time I was there - I got caught and was given six 1 hour detentions to make up the day - I didn't do it again lol

I was on day release from college for 4 years, I missed quite a lot of lessons, one of the reasons was one year was on a Monday - college no good after partying with no sleep all weekend - I still passed and ended up with a HNC.