Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

George Osborne

Up to his neck in the brown stuff at the moment...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/oct/21/george-osborne-russia-conservative-funding

At least New Labour waited until after it got into office before becoming all sleazy... :D
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Weird story - nothing actually happened in reality. But it seems a Tory donor and close friend of Osborne got upset because Osborne repeated a private conversation of another close friend (the big news being the Prince of Darkness has friends).

I can see Rothschild's point - Osborne was told stuff in what Mandleson thought was a private conversation. Osborne shouldn't then be running around telling everyone...
    I guess the appointment of Mandelson by Brown wasn't so foolish, if he has really orchestrated this.
    George Osborne's presence in the Conservative shadow cabinet has never really made much sense... he's a weak link. Although, tbh Darling is hardly a political heavyweight - hence how Osborne has survived I suspect. To be taken seriously as a credible future govt the Tories need somebody more credible - a match for Vincent Cable...... who else is there but Ken Clarke? (But, of course, Ken Clarke - for taking a sensible stance on Europe is not so popular in his own party...)
    Gotta agree there. Ignoring all of this crap, I've never been impressed with George Osborne. You'd think the Tories would want someone with a bit of experience in that role, considering Cameron is a bit of a novice himself. I mean is anyone filled with dread at the prospect of Cameron and Osborne being the two most powerful men in the country? Get someone with a bit of financial knowledge in there ffs. Labour can get away with it, because whoever they picked would always be second to Brown on experience of running the economy anyway. It's not surprising that the Tories have dipped since the financial crisis, because they don't appear to have anyone capable of attacking the government on that issue like the Lib Dems do.
    I've always got the impression they keep George on a very tight lead normally. Frankly I always assumed it was because he was really economically right wing and would say things to piss of the voters like those on benefits are sponges.
    But given that Osborne, Rothschild and Cameron were all Bullingdon club members, maybe they're trying to keep this quiet lest any disgruntled party let slip a secret or two about any youthful indescretions...
    Nice to see Aladdin showing his usual level of consistency on these matters - which, of course, is none at all. Peter Mandelson (or Lord Mandelson of Foy, as we're now supposed to address the sleazy little muppet) has got his fair share of dodgy friends, and one of them happens to be a Russian billionaire. Has Aladdin been screaming from the rooftops about this blatant piece of sleaze from the man who's been sacked from the cabinet twice? Goodness gracious, no.

But when you get one Tory MP having a conversation with a different Russian billionaire, you can always trust Aladdin to be the one shouting "Tory sleaze" loudest. Aladdin will say nothing against a man who's prepared to lie in order to gain a mortgage, (in any other field of life, Mandelson would have ended up in prison because of that) yet will happily shout about a man who's done nothing wrong, who's broken no rules - all because he bats for a different team.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Nice to see Aladdin showing his usual level of consistency on these matters - which, of course, is none at all. Peter Mandelson (or Lord Mandelson of Foy, as we're now supposed to address the sleazy little muppet) has got his fair share of dodgy friends, and one of them happens to be a Russian billionaire. Has Aladdin been screaming from the rooftops about this blatant piece of sleaze from the man who's been sacked from the cabinet twice? Goodness gracious, no.
    Way to miss the point. As usual. :D

I have hardly screamed from the rooftops. Everyone (but you, apparently) would have seen that. Notice also that I have not suggested that Labour are sleaze-free.
    But when you get one Tory MP having a conversation with a different Russian billionaire, you can always trust Aladdin to be the one shouting "Tory sleaze" loudest. Aladdin will say nothing against a man who's prepared to lie in order to gain a mortgage, (in any other field of life, Mandelson would have ended up in prison because of that) yet will happily shout about a man who's done nothing wrong, who's broken no rules - all because he bats for a different team.

*whoosh!*

P.S. I eagerly await any thoughts you might have about the atheist bus story, on the other thread ;)