Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Abortion - BPAS, Private NHS etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello Everyone,

Strange first post i know but i need some advice.

My gf has missed her initial appointment with the gyno and we think she is around 7/8 weeks, she does not want the suction method and would like to take the pill.

As we have been waiting for the appointment for 2 weeks we are concerned that if we arrange another we will be waiting another 2 weeks and then there is only the one option.

What i would like to know is that we have read that BPAs http://www.bpas.org/ can do the assesment and the abortion (at a small £450) but we would like to know if their assesment is all the GP needs to accept and prescribe the pills needed.

Or is there any other way we can get this sorted for as cheap as possible.

I do not want this thread to turn into a flame fest about why you should keep the baby etc as we have made the decision and no anonymous poster will help change that decision, just hopeing for some advice as i am sure some of the thousands of members here have been through this.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Dave,

If you pay privately, then you won't need to see the GP at all, BPAS/Stopes have their own doctors who will do the initial consultation and prescribe the pills. I know that Marie Stopes used to do the consultation and first tablets on the same day, although their policies might have changed. They were piloting a scheme whereby the woman would come back for the second set of tablets 6 hours after taking the first, but I don't know how successful it was.

Do bear in mind that medical abortions can fail and that the pregnancy can either be retained, or continued, so I'd always keep the surgical method open to you as an option in the back of your mind, as that's what would be required to treat the failed abortion if it happened. Also bear in mind that at the initial assessment, an ultrasound scan may be done, and your girlfriend's medical history will be required as there are some contraindications to the RU486 method.

If you are sure about going down the private route (which ain't cheap as you know) then book a consultation as soon as possible and ask if it's possible for her to have the first set of tablets on the same day. You could wait and see if the NHS refer to one of the private clinics, but the wait depends on the area you live in.