Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Knitting

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    do you use normal needles? and what kind of size?

I used 3mm metal double pointed needles for the silver coloured one, and 2.5mm for the black one. Apparently if you use wooden or bamboo needles the wire knackers them up, but i find them to be quite feeble at those sizes anyway, so I stick to metal. They don't need to be double pointed, either, it's just a bit unwieldy knitting something so little on full length needles.
    WOW they're gorgeous! and nice depth of field ;)

Ah, merci. I :heart: my macro filter!
    i'm glad you said that, i'm shit knitting on dpns...

and i agree with the bamboo needles in small gauge...i find them easy to break at 4.5 let alone 2.5 !
    Bump.

Littlemissy, Simba and I need some company on our Ravelry group. It's here: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/thesite

Join it now. Please?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    piccolo wrote: »
    Bump.

Littlemissy, Simba and I need some company on our Ravelry group. It's here: http://www.ravelry.com/groups/thesite

Join it now. Please?

Yes please :flirt:
    I have applied for an invitation...

Will want to show off the blanket I'm doing when it's finally finished :D
    Yay! I am there :)
    I just realised that I still haven't been invited. Awwh, maybe they don't want me. :p

I'm going to knit some wrist cuffs, I went biking and I was FREEZING. In fact, I'm constantly freezing wherever I am no matter how well I am dressed. :[ I would be dead if it wasn't for my leg warmers.
    Hooray! It takes about 7 days for one of the Ravelry mods to send an invite.
    i wish i could knit, it would keep me busy through my last 3 weeks of being pregnant! i used to be able to do it, my nan taught me...but now i dont have a clue :( and all i could do was knit squares lol!
    I'm knitting a scarf in 'mistake stitch ribbing' from baby alpaca wool at the moment.
    Is mistake-stitch rib the same as Wendy rib?

Row 1: k3, p1
    Row 2: k1, p1

I get confused!
    Is mistake-stitch rib the same as Wendy rib?

Row 1: k3, p1
    Row 2: k1, p1

I get confused!

No.

It goes...

Cast on a multiple of four then add three (e.g. 11, 15, 19 etc all work)

Row 1: [k2, p2] until last three stitches. Then [k2, p1]

Repeat this.

It is sort of like a 2x2 ribbing but they don't line up so much so it is a slightly softer effect and a bit earthy. Hmmm, not sure I've explained that well.

MistakeStitchRibbing.jpg

:)
    Tada! My first pair of socks :)

I know there's only one in the picture but I did finish them both!
    009.JPG 557.7K
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    MistakeStitchRibbing.jpg
    Oooh that's rather nice
    You do such a nice job at using different colors! Mine always comes out stupid looking. I'm quite jelous. It is a very good sock :D
    Still no invite and it's been two weeks. :(

I've tried to submit my e-mail again. I hope they won't torture me and kill for it. :P

I found a half finished leg warmer with skulls on it this evening. I think I'll use that concept for my new ones. :)

ETA: FUCK. The invite was sent on the 22nd but there's no listed spam and it hasn't appeared. Stupid stupid mail server.

ETA2: Urgh, now it reset me on the list. Previouslt it had said it'd send me another copy of the invite which I didn't get. I've just signed up with another email address in the hopes it will actually work. I'm so gutted now. :(
    Woo, I've had my invitation and joined now :yippe:

It's really good, I'm impressed :)
    anyone got an very quick method of making a hat and gloves...like by tomorrow morning quick...i'm so cold!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    anyone got an very quick method of making a hat and gloves...like by tomorrow morning quick...i'm so cold!

Chunky Bulky yarn :yes:
    yeah i can't find anything nice thats not extortionate...:(

i think i'll have to speed knit!
    Sirdar Denim Superchunky. About £3/100g.
    Sirdar Denim Superchunky. About £3/100g.

I've made a couple of things from that... including my first ever knitting project (it was meant to be a scarf but turned into moe of a shawl as it got so wide!!)
    You can also double/triple strand cheapo DK wool for a similar effect :)
    I finally got myself on Ravelry, I'm on thesite group there now too. Not meaning to sound weird and paranoid could I ask you lovely people who may 'recognise' me on there from here to just stick to knitting stuff there and not even mention my username here... I'm just imagining that I could show someone in my real life my Ravelry page and they could track me down on here as Randomgirl and then read all my deep dark secrets on here, all because I wanted to show off my tea cosy.

Come and discuss knitting with me... :yes:
    I'm really clumsy. Did you all have people to show you how to knit? Might start off with one of those 'Learn to Knit' kits for children that you can buy in The Works. Would that be crap?

I'd love to be able to do something relaxing!
    I learned from http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stitch-Bitch-Handbook-Instructions-Generation/dp/0761128182/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226462473&sr=8-1 along with the help of youtube and http://www.knittinghelp.com/ it took a while to get the hang of it, I knitted so tight doing a second row seemed impossible but one day it just clicked. Get a pair of needles on ebay, pick up some cheap yarn and you're on your way :D

ETA: Actually, I mostly learned to knit by harassing little_missy with all my dumb questions :p

ETA: Actually, I mostly learned to knit by harassing little_missy with all my dumb questions :p

Hehe I harassed RandomGirl with mine :D

Now we are experienced people can harass us for our knowledge!
    kangoo wrote: »
    Hehe I harassed RandomGirl with mine :D
    I actually really liked being asked. It was at a time when I had a lot of free time and terrible self-esteem so being useful to just one person in a really small way made me feel a lot better about myself :D
    I'm really clumsy. Did you all have people to show you how to knit? Might start off with one of those 'Learn to Knit' kits for children that you can buy in The Works. Would that be crap?

I'd love to be able to do something relaxing!
    If you want, I can bring all my knitting stuff back to uni with me after Christmas and we can learn together :D. I kinda gave up over the summer because I had like 0 time but I would loooooooove to be able to knit.