Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Just a few questions about STI's and smear tests.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I'm going to get myself checked out at the GUM clinic I think. I don't think it's likely I have anything (hopefully) but you know, it's always good to have that piece of mind.

I was discussing with my mentor about HPV vaccines and how they're only offered to previously non sexually active girls...anyhow, she told me that anyone who has been sexually active should be advised to get a smear test to check for any cervical cells which could be potentially be cancerous.

I always thought a smear test wasn't offered until like 23yrs of age? So can I get a cervical smear test at the same time as getting tested for the other infections?

Hmm..

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    I live in Iceland and they've been trying to get me for a smear test since I was 20 or so. I got a brochure with the mail about it and basically they were recommending it for all sexually active girls.

I still haven't gone though. :blush:
  • Options
    It depends on your local authority usually. There's not really a bottom limit on it, just generally tends to be 23-25 before people can secure one.
  • Options
    The national age was raised to 25 BUT you can request one from your Dr and some GUM cinics.

I know lot's of people who had one before they should have. One girl I know had one at 18 and they found abnormal cells, they said that if she hadn't come for one then, and waited till the national age she may not have survived :no:
  • Options
    In the US where they do smear tests from an earlier age, there are often false positives due to abnormal cells being present due to changes at a younger age. It's best to get the test, but don't be too worried about the results without further testing if necessary.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

My ex fella's previous missus died of cervical cancer at 30 so it does kill early :(
  • Options
    Before the national age was raised what was the age limit?
    I only ask because my friends and I have all been going regularly to the doctors since the ages of 18. I am glad I went as they managed to pick up some early signs of problems caused by the pill and i had hospital treatment straight away. Think that was when i was 21.
  • Options
    Before it was raised to 25 I'm pretty sure it was 21