Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Width of Airline & Rail Seats

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I often hear people complain about not having enough leg room on a plane or train but never heard anyone ever mention the width of the seats.

Does anyone else find seats are way too narrow?

My shoulders are wider then most seats, which means I'm usually having to pull in my arms to not be rubbing next to the person either side of me.

Anyone else find this a problem?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't find them a problem but I have had a rather larger than average man practically sit on my knee as the seat was too small for him.
    Yep, I'm pretty much too wide for most seats - on the bus I'm practically half way into the middle of the gangway if I'm in the outside seat.
    My lower half has no issues fitting in seats, but my shoulders are way too wide for most bus/coach/train seats. Ridiculous. I'm not a big fella, either.
    Hmm, cant say the seats really bother me. I found the train seats on GNER really nice, quite big seats and plenty room.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'm a fairly big guy but dont have any problems with most train seats, obviously depends on which train etc, buses are just a pain in the arse and I dont fly!
    with being 6'2" or so my main prob is leg room, i've had some very uncomfortable flights where my legs literally pressed into the seat in front. Theres no alternative tho if they have no front row seats available.

width wise they are fine tho and i aint a small bloke
    I think width of seats is less of an issue for tall people - I think because their long backs mean their shoulders are higher up the seat and less likely to be rubbing the person next to them..

I'm looking forward to going on the new AirBus A380 next year to see if the seats are better and hopefully wider as the plane has a lot more surface area compared to a 747.