Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Motivation Issues - Help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Since starting college 6 weeks ago, I've been given at least 4 assignment to do. One of them I'm struggling on, but have done what I can. One of the others, I can't be bothered to do because it's English, which I struggle with, don't undersstand it much (it's essay writing, which I can't do) and generally find English boring. And I think my depression is coming back again.:(

How do you lot get yourself motivated?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    one thing, have you been checked for dyslexia yet?

secondly, sort out a space where you feel comfortable to do your work. maybe do a mind map of what you need to do and then reward yourself afterwards.

I use music, the essay topic could be really boring but as long as the music is good i'll get through it.

find out when you best study...after between 9pm-6 am works for me (not when i have lectures the next day though.

the study skills handbook by stella cottrell might also be very handy. I've sworn by it for the past three years, and i've got as far as uni, so it must be some help.
    No, I haven't been tested yet. I'm having it done next week.

Thank you.
    Set yourself mini targets each day and FORCE yourself to do it, perhaps with a reward promised to yourself when you have. Once it becomes habit, it becomes habit.
    katralla wrote: »
    Set yourself mini targets each day and FORCE yourself to do it, perhaps with a reward promised to yourself when you have. Once it becomes habit, it becomes habit.

I think my problem related to getting into the habit of studying again, so thanks for that.
    One thing that helps me is to just get something down on paper, whether it makes sense or not. Like if I'm doing an essay I might read what it's supposed to be about, and then write down the first few things that come to my mind. Most of the time I end up deleting it when I'm finished but I feel like I've broken some barrier by just starting the assignment.
    I have a similar problem. What helps ultimately is the pressure of failure causing me to stay up until 6am the night before.

But that's negative kind of pressure, and I think it's possible to put yourself under a positive pressure too. If you are in the right environment you will naturally feel yourself 'wanting' to work - or at least I do. It becomes less about 'having' to do it, but wanting to do it, to do really well. You notice people who take their own projects and fly with them are like this.

It's not always possible especially when it's something boring, but if you are in the habit of say every thursday 2pm you have some free time so you do two hours of reading / writing / whatever and stick to it.. even if you have no work just pick up one of your books and re-read your notes to fix it in your mind.

Once it's habit / routine, it starts to come fairly easily. :thumb:

If you are struggling and getting upset with it though I would talk to your tutor, they're there to support you. Explain how you feel - I'm sure a lot of people feel overwhelmed when they have a lot of work and might not understand it completely. She'll probably go through it logically and give you that ray of positive encouragement (i.e. you CAN do it) that will help you get started...