Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Triple Majoring Advantages?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi all,
I go to a relatively selective University in America, but I believe your system is relatively the same regarding majors and degrees. (Hopefully.)

I spoke with an advisor today, and I will be going for a triple major, which is abnormally easy due to my choices sharing required classes.

As a government employer (Hoping to work in federal defense such as the intelligence sector), would an individual applying with a triple major in Political Science, Sociology, and Criminal Justice have a more advantageous position compared to the rest of the bunch?

I keep reading on forums, and folks seem almost hostile when people ask about or release that they are pursuing a three degrees, and say how much of a waste of time it is, and basically insult them repeatedly. Is this jealousy, or would I really be wasting my time? (Which note is only one semester extra to receive the two additional degrees for my situation.)

Also, do you think that for my chosen job field, these are appropriate and well coordinating majors?

Thanks all!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know much about it, the american system is quite different to ours in some ways.

The only thing I do know about joint honours, which is about the closet we get, is that sometimes they are well regarded and for other things they are less good than the single degree in one subject because by doing the combintaion you don't have the same depth of knowledge in any of them.
    US degrees are quite different to British ones, or English ones rather, Scottish degrees are a bit more like yours...

Anyway it seems to be a careers Q - and equally, I think America is quite diff.. e.g. here, somebody working in intelligence is more likely to have a history degree than a sociology/criminal justice degree. Britain can be quite old fashioned - somebody with a good 'traditional' degree would sometimes have the advantage over someone with something more vocational. Although, now a lot of people seem to be doing a traditional degree and then doing something vocational postgrad in what they want to go into. I think your advisor will be of more help!
    That wouldn't be the same in the US as you have to take the same classes as if it were your only major, its not condensed.

I cannot imagine getting those majors would hinder you, especially since it would only require one extra semster. The only disadvantage I could see is that you could be overqualfied for certian entry level positions if you have the degrees but not the experience. But I dont' know if working for the govt, if that would really be an issue. As opposed to, say you want to be a teacher, they aren't going to pay you that much so they won't hire you :p

Those three do go together very nicely. Though, with talks with my advisors and my years of "i dont know what the hell i want to do" history might be a better fit than criminal justice? But I really dont' know that much about cj courses. (I was for a while, until this semester, a poli sci major, not knowing what to do so talking with my professors and advisors about it)

I'd say it is jelousy when people tell you those kinds of things. I can tell you know I'm damn jelous of you :p I'm at 7 years still working on one bachelor :lol:
    I don't think it would count against you.

So a question, on your CV, would you write them as discrete degrees? Like:

Physics BSc
    Chemistry BSc
    Mathematics BSc

Or do you say

Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics Joint Degree BSc

Because if it's the first that's pretty impressive. I don't think it would do any harm to your employment chances, you'll be wanting to aim for a graduate placement where it's hard to be overqualified because they want the best anyway. Or you could do a fellowship *shrug*