Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Some good(ish) news...

Let's face it, there certainly doesn't seem to be much of this around at the moment. According to the Beeb; "Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has told MPs that plans to extend terror detention to 42 days will be dropped from the Counter-Terrorism Bill. It follows a heavy defeat for the government in the House of Lords, which threw out the plan by 309 votes to 118. Ms Smith said instead the measure would be in a separate piece of legislation to be brought to Parliament if needed. The Tories said she should just say she was abandoning 42 days. The Lib Dems said it was a 'humiliating retreat'." Click here for more information.

My initial reaction was to shout "hooray!" quite loudly. Just one problem - I have an awful suspicion that we can't let our guard down yet. Jacqui Smith herself said she'd be prepared to put it before Parliament again. What is it about the word "no" that ministers don't understand?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    they are deaf, they don't listen to other people, no matter how many!

but big hooray!
  • Options
    That is good news indeed.
  • Options
    It is good news, but the idea that they will have a law ready for an emergency is deeply troubling. They tried to legislate for one person before and it didnt work (protests banned around Parliament).