Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tougher action on cannabis

+Chimpy++Chimpy+ Deactivated Posts: 37 Boards Initiate
Hi all,

You might be interested to read today'snews release from the Government on the forthcoming re-classification of cannabis.

What are your thoughts on the tougher measures?

C.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    waste of time and effort on everyones part

reality is that noones going to stop smokin cuz of some shitty reclassification, its just a waste of police time more than anything.
    As said above.
    z- wrote: »

reality is that noones going to stop smokin cuz of some shitty reclassification, its just a waste of police time more than anything.

Word
    z- wrote: »

word. i thought it was already class b again? if not some fucking cop did me for posession of class b.
    Its pointless posturing of course, it makes the Mail happy which is what the government likes to do. The Met arent going to change any of their policies, so in reality it is still sort of decriminalised, yet its in the hands of the cops as to whether they arrest you or not.

That means if you are black, or they dont like your face or where you are from then you will be treated differently than a rich white kid.

Stand by for the decent into the darkness, the Tories are on their way and then they will royaly fuck everything up again. Sod the poor if they had a brain in their head then they would pull themselves up by their boot strings. Read Ian Duncan Smiths report into 'social issues' and see if you can ever sleep again, its doubtful a more spiteful and horrid report could ever be written.

Sorry I got a bit side tracked there.
    Successive governments fund, convene then proceed to ignore the ACMD...Jacqui Smith is just another in the hopeless line of arrogant bullish cunts in that particular post.
    Successive governments fund, convene then proceed to ignore the ACMD...Jacqui Smith is just another in the hopeless line of arrogant bullish cunts in that particular post.

They are gradually changing it so its loosing its independance, the membership is now approved by the government itself. The whole process is a farce. Still it could be worse we could have John Reid as Prime Minister.
    budda wrote: »

That means if you are black, or they dont like your face or where you are from then you will be treated differently than a rich white kid.

tell me bout it :mad: one caution less i could do with
    I have little respect for the law. NOBODY has the right to tell me what i can and cant put into my body. I dont remember signing a piece of paper when i was born saying " I give permission for the guys in suits who wave papers at eachover all day to decide what i do in my life. Ile be there with my molotov cocktail the day the revolution comes. XD :mad:
    :banghead:
    perfecto wrote: »
    I have little respect for the law. NOBODY has the right to tell me what i can and cant put into my body. I dont remember signing a piece of paper when i was born saying " I give permission for the guys in suits who wave papers at eachover all day to decide what i do in my life. Ile be there with my molotov cocktail the day the revolution comes. XD :mad:

well bloody said. this is my exact point. how the hell does anyone have any power over anyone else. where the hell did they suddenly get the power to tell me what to do. i didnt choose to get born into this world. who the fuck is anybody else to tell me what to do with my life when im not hurting anyone but myself. its a fucked up society we live in, i dont think any of us will truly realise just how fucked up it is as we cant comprehend anything different. anyway i would be more than happy with an anarchist society. only punish people for hurting others. where the fuck is our freedom i this day and age!!!!
    Ile be there with my molotov cocktail the day the revolution comes. XD :mad:

lol come on over here lad ill take ya out for a good one :angel:

Certainly this country has some laws which should be removed, but when countries have no rules at all there is even more suffering.
    Certainly this country has some laws which should be removed, but when countries have no rules at all there is even more suffering.

Yea true i know its more complicated then this but somthing along the lines of

Murder = u get hung
    Rape = u get castrated and kicked out
    Assult = u get what u dished out
    dmg to other peoples property and theft = kicked out ^^

Who wants to chip in and by an island with me ?
    Yea true i know its more complicated then this but somthing along the lines of

Murder = u get hung
    Rape = u get castrated and kicked out
    Assult = u get what u dished out
    dmg to other peoples property and theft = kicked out ^^

Who wants to chip in and by an island with me ?

im down for that. somewhere hot. where cannabis grows naturally. we can make forests of the stuff and make them national parks. :D:D
    I don't think an on the spot fine is necessarily a bad idea, but it probably is. I mean, look at the wider picture - for joe average cannabis could act like a gateway drug to substances which could really do damage to someone. I think as buddha has said before the government should really licence the sale of recreational drugs because then at least it can control it to an extent. But even that has issues with it - we have shown the government just how 'responsible' we are when it comes to alcohol, haven't we?

I know there are two ultimates, we either say anyone can do what they like to their own body (its their body after all), or that we as a wider society should protect people from 'poor' decisions. I mean not many of us would let a mate go and shoot up on heroin freely without aggro would we? Because WE know how damaging it is especially long term. I mean, I posted here years ago because of someone close to me doing aerosols and basically everyone said don't do it because it will kill you instantly.

So my opinion is we should protect others from their own... 'poor' decisions I guess. But the way the government decides what is poor and what isn't, and then what to do about it, is pretty rubbish tbh. But cannabis isn't harmless.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I don't think an on the spot fine is necessarily a bad idea, but it probably is. I mean, look at the wider picture - for joe average cannabis could act like a gateway drug to substances which could really do damage to someone.

Well cannabis could really do damage to someone - as well as any 'harder' drugs it could lead to.

McDonald's and ready meals are a gateway to obesity - which is surely a bigger killer? :p
    You're right dis... *shrugs* I don't know how to fix the system but we are headed for an obesity epidemic and the problems that come with it. On balance the government is spending wholly too much time policing cannabis and not enough time / money spent on getting people to eat proper meals.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I don't think an on the spot fine is necessarily a bad idea, but it probably is. I mean, look at the wider picture - for joe average cannabis could act like a gateway drug to substances which could really do damage to someone. I think as buddha has said before the government should really licence the sale of recreational drugs because then at least it can control it to an extent. But even that has issues with it - we have shown the government just how 'responsible' we are when it comes to alcohol, haven't we?

I know there are two ultimates, we either say anyone can do what they like to their own body (its their body after all), or that we as a wider society should protect people from 'poor' decisions. I mean not many of us would let a mate go and shoot up on heroin freely without aggro would we? Because WE know how damaging it is especially long term. I mean, I posted here years ago because of someone close to me doing aerosols and basically everyone said don't do it because it will kill you instantly.

So my opinion is we should protect others from their own... 'poor' decisions I guess. But the way the government decides what is poor and what isn't, and then what to do about it, is pretty rubbish tbh. But cannabis isn't harmless.

If cannabis has any gateway effect it is because it is illegal and therefore buyers are involved in the black market. In holland where they have far more successfully seperated hard and softer drugs they do not have the young addict problems we have.

And no, on the spot fines, or criminal penalties do not help people make healthier choices. There is absolutely no evidence for any deterrent effect at all.

The only way to make the market safer is to control it, and that means the production and sale.
    it's just another cheap gimmick to detract from the real issues, makes absolutely no difference to your average smoker.
    A) do you have a source for those figures

B) I dont know whether you've been to a pub in your life before but most drinkers drink to get drunk, that is sort of the point of the exercise. I'd say a large percentage of adults drink to get completely drunk.
    I drink to get drunk but not 'completely' drunk. It's nice to loosen up and have fun but not to get wasted and feel sick.
    Any body who sais they dont drink to get drunk is not telling the truth or els they would stick to soft drinks.

Another thing that i dont like is that people say "cannabis should be banned because it is a gate way into harder drugs." I will be the one to decide weather i step through that gate way thank you very much. The people who say these things dont know me and just assume taht i cant smoke cannabis without moving onto harder drugs?. Its not there decision to make!
    Any body who sais they dont drink to get drunk is not telling the truth or els they would stick to soft drinks.

I hate the feeling of being drunk, and I don't and have never drunk alcohol just to get to that point. I don't mind being slightly tipsy because it makes me more confident and talkative. Plus maybe *shockhorror* they just like the taste of it?

Another thing that i dont like is that people say "cannabis should be banned because it is a gate way into harder drugs." I will be the one to decide weather i step through that gate way thank you very much. The people who say these things dont know me and just assume taht i cant smoke cannabis without moving onto harder drugs?. Its not there decision to make!

cannabis is only a gateway drug because its illegal. if it was legal then you could buy it from a shop and you wouldnt be mixing with any 'criminals' (for want of a better word) so you would be much much less likely to continue onto hard drugs. i agree thou its a persons choice to step threw that gate and if they aren't harming anyone else then what are they doing wrong. its there bloddy body. christ.
    cannabis is only a gateway drug because its illegal. if it was legal then you could buy it from a shop and you wouldnt be mixing with any 'criminals' (for want of a better word) so you would be much much less likely to continue onto hard drugs. i agree thou its a persons choice to step threw that gate and if they aren't harming anyone else then what are they doing wrong. its there bloddy body. christ.

Yes and no. Yes in reality it is an individuals choice as to what they do with their body. But it isnt as simple as that, if you fall off a cliff while climbing people will come and rescue you, or if you crash your car the NHS will pay to put you back together. It is exactly the same with drugs. Recreational drug use does not in the main cause many social problems, but addiction to heroin or crack often does and we have to manage that harm as best we can.
    Yes and no. Yes in reality it is an individuals choice as to what they do with their body. But it isnt as simple as that, if you fall off a cliff while climbing people will come and rescue you, or if you crash your car the NHS will pay to put you back together. It is exactly the same with drugs. Recreational drug use does not in the main cause many social problems, but addiction to heroin or crack often does and we have to manage that harm as best we can.

fair point. i beleive if drugs were legalised the more harming ones should be taxed highly so the tax of them was given directly to the NHS therefore theoretically the druguser is already paying for the NHS to fix em up before they are actually harmed by there substance of choice. i know this would be much more complicated in reality so dont just shout me down im just voicing other ideas to our current system of prohibitation. :)
    fair point. i beleive if drugs were legalised the more harming ones should be taxed highly so the tax of them was given directly to the NHS therefore theoretically the druguser is already paying for the NHS to fix em up before they are actually harmed by there substance of choice. i know this would be much more complicated in reality so dont just shout me down im just voicing other ideas to our current system of prohibitation. :)

Its not complicated, 'soft' drugs such as cannabis, MDMA, mushrooms, LSD, ketamine and mescaline should be available through licenced government run chemists.

Heroin should be on prescription in both smokable and injectable forms.

As for cocaine and speed, god only knows.
    Its not complicated, 'soft' drugs such as cannabis, MDMA, mushrooms, LSD, ketamine and mescaline should be available through licenced government run chemists.

Heroin should be on prescription in both smokable and injectable forms.

As for cocaine and speed, god only knows.

yes i agree i was just saying how you would get arounbd every non drug user saying that they dont want to pay taxes on drug users that "destroy there body".

out of interest what would warrant a heroin prescription. if it was for recreational use then it might aswell be sold in goverment run chemists but obviously if it was to be used as a painkiller then thats a completely different story.
    out of interest what would warrant a heroin prescription. if it was for recreational use then it might aswell be sold in goverment run chemists but obviously if it was to be used as a painkiller then thats a completely different story.

Heroin is actually the easiest drug problem to deal with in my view.

All you would need to do is change its prescription status to the same as methadone - this has the added bonus of not needing a change in UN law. That way addicts would have a choice, and they could be given clean product which they can rely on.

If you did this and it was prescribed widely a huge section of the black market would completely disapear, and with it crime would also reduce.

Having said that though there are two main issues with this strategy;

1) There isnt anywhere near enough medical heroin to do this at the moment.

2) Many addicts are now poly-drug users and are addicted to both crack and heroin, their crack use may just go up if you reduced or removed the cost of the heroin.
    Heroin is actually the easiest drug problem to deal with in my view.

All you would need to do is change its prescription status to the same as methadone - this has the added bonus of not needing a change in UN law. That way addicts would have a choice, and they could be given clean product which they can rely on.

If you did this and it was prescribed widely a huge section of the black market would completely disapear, and with it crime would also reduce.

Having said that though there are two main issues with this strategy;

1) There isnt anywhere near enough medical heroin to do this at the moment.

2) Many addicts are now poly-drug users and are addicted to both crack and heroin, their crack use may just go up if you reduced or removed the cost of the heroin.

nice strategy. :)

I guess really there will always be a black market and i highly doubt all of the serious heroin dealers will suddenly get an honest job thou. by stopping this drug problem im sure another will get worse (like you mentioned with crack) as the shifters would then just trade a drug with more money in it.

and yes like you said if the poly-drug users had more money as they got there smack off of the nhs then i guess they would probably spend that money on crack or their other drug habbits. (not meaning to sound steriotypical or prejudice or anythig):)

just out of interest, apart from the obvious problem of addiction and the pretty serious financial problem that goes along with that, and of course excluding the risk of O.D, what other serious long term health risks are accompanied with heroin?