Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drop Physics?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So basically at my sixth form i take IT, Media Studies, Maths and Physics.

Now im finding Physics difficult, Boring and generally not very interesting or fun in any way. I struggle to understand the formulas and i dont seem to get very good marks in it.

I tried to drop it a week in and got convinced to keep it by my head of sixth form as id have a better chance at uni or something.

Now ive kept it on until now and its not getting any better, the only thing thats stopping me from dropping it is im scared im not going to have a chance at UNI if i do. But i think im just worrying abotu nothing. If i drop it im going to have more time to concentrate on my other 3 subjects and make sure i do well in them.

Help?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Well....

It's a 'proper' traditional subject, and in a way is more attractive to universities because it's more academically rigourous than some of your more vocational subjects. Obviously if you drop it you'll also be down to 3 subjects rather than the 4 that most people do.

That said, if you hate it and are really struggling there's not much point in you battling on.

Physics will help you understand your maths mechanics module and vice versa.
  • Options
    Well....

It's a 'proper' traditional subject, and in a way is more attractive to universities because it's more academically rigourous than some of your more vocational subjects. Obviously if you drop it you'll also be down to 3 subjects rather than the 4 that most people do.

That said, if you hate it and are really struggling there's not much point in you battling on.

Physics will help you understand your maths mechanics module and vice versa.

I know, thats what my other friend said. Were doing Decision making not mechanics though.

Most people in my school seem to be taking 3 rather than 4 though so i dunno.

*Utterly confused*

EDIT: Aparently UNI's are only interested in your top 3 A levels?
  • Options
    As my head of sixth form says:

It's better you do 3 and get AAA then 4 and get DDDD

:)
  • Options
    i thought most people did 3.. when i was at school we started doing 5 as levels (one was general studies or critical thinking) then most people dropped a subject and general studies so ended up with 3.

what are you thinking about doing at uni? have a look at the requirements for the course and maybe that will help you decide whether or not to stick at it.
  • Options
    Top 3 A levels, although if you're looking at the kind of courses that deal in UCAS points a lot of those will take points from 3 A levels and 1 AS.

I am of course assuming you are in your first year of 6th form.