Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Legal Services Act/Tesco Law

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
I have a presentation to do, and have been doing a bit of research on this.

I am not cheating, as I do now genuinely have an interest in this.

So...basically, Tesco (and other businesses) will be able to offer legal services which has obviously worried the Industry and the act has also introduced an ombudsman style approach to handle complaints, rather than in-house.

I can obviously see both the pros and cons for the complaints system, and how Tesco Law can benefit the client, but personally I am struggling to see how in any way, allowing 'outsiders' to dabble will benefit the firms?

Discuss!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bunnie wrote: »
    I have a presentation to do, and have been doing a bit of research on this.

I am not cheating, as I do now genuinely have an interest in this.

So...basically, Tesco (and other businesses) will be able to offer legal services which has obviously worried the Industry and the act has also introduced an ombudsman style approach to handle complaints, rather than in-house.

I can obviously see both the pros and cons for the complaints system, and how Tesco Law can benefit the client, but personally I am struggling to see how in any way, allowing 'outsiders' to dabble will benefit the firms?

Discuss!

Existing legal firms or those trying to get into the market?

The only real benefit I can see to existing firms, is that by having an independent obudsman rather than in-house, people are more likely to believe their complaints are being handled properly (though whether this is true in reality I don't know).

It may be of benefits to existing lawyers, who have a wider range of employers to choose from.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Existing law firms.

I personally don't feel it will benefit the firms as a whole by using the reasoning that existing lawyers could move away from the firm?

Perhaps it is a little overdramatic, but I can see the fall of the high street firm, to be replaced by the likes of Tesco and Co-op offering a possible lesser service, but at half the price.
  • Options
    To be frank I can only see salaries being more than Tesco would want to pay holding that back - it does sound like the same story as usual around supermarkets.

However maybe it's worth looking at Tesco, etc's moves into the insurance and loan markets - which never seemed to really take off - might be some parallels there?
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Existing law firms.

I personally don't feel it will benefit the firms as a whole by using the reasoning that existing lawyers could move away from the firm?

Perhaps it is a little overdramatic, but I can see the fall of the high street firm, to be replaced by the likes of Tesco and Co-op offering a possible lesser service, but at half the price.

No it won't benefit firms, sorry I wasn't clear - but it will their employees. I can also see how it benefits the consumer.

I'm kind of stumped how it would benefit existing firms - I don't know the background, but I would guess that most of them have been fighting against this proposal tooth and nail.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    To be frank I can only see salaries being more than Tesco would want to pay holding that back - it does sound like the same story as usual around supermarkets.

However maybe it's worth looking at Tesco, etc's moves into the insurance and loan markets - which never seemed to really take off - might be some parallels there?

My guess would be that if Tesco's (or similar) did enter they'd probably stick to things like conveyancing. If you handle divorce you'd loose as many customers as you gain and I can't see it being a big seller for Tescos to defend Ian Huntley and the like.

They might take some corporate cases, but then they'd be playing against the big boys with lots of experience and there's also a risk of conflict of interest.
  • Options
    It's a brilliant idea which benefits customers - legal advice in easy to understand language at places which are open most of the day, if not 24 hours a day. It's no wonder the rest of the sharks in the industry are against it.