Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Burst Pipe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Myself, my father recently noticed water pouring out of a wall outside our building and it turns out a neighbour had also noticed this but before us. The neighbour and my father rang Scottish Water who came out today, he checked his map on his laptop, whatever that means and then checked out the leak and apparently there is a burst pipe however, because it's private, he says, Scottish Water won't touch it.

He rang the council to let them know of the burst pipe and the girl on the phone replied " OK " she wasn't interested, didn't even ask about the address or the details, to which he told us that means they aren't interested and won't bother fixing it. Our neighbour had also been experiencing this, getting punted from one dept. to another getting herself nowhere.

What are the laws or whatever on this, surely they must fix it ? and within a reasonable time ? The Scottish Water guy tested the water and it is drinking water and not sewage so it is being paid for by all these home owners here. This place is split between private owners and council owned property.

Apparently what might end up happening is that if 50% of this housing are privately owned the council will never touch it and these private home owners ll have to pay for a company to come out, dig it up and fix the burst pipe. There are basically three blocks of Maisonettes here but only ours and the one up from us are affected we're told. The block at the front isn't affected.

I just find it ridiculous that people pay rates for this and no one is interested in taking responsibility for it so it gets fixed. What a waste of water aswell. I mean it's been pouring out for a while now. I'm talking day's perhaps weeks.

Oh and one more thing, the water pipe that is burst is pouring water down into the storage area under the building which has flooded that area, now some of us have goods down there !

So just to say it again, what are the consumers rights about this, what are the laws if any, what can they do to make the council act ? I'm not saying they expect the council to come right down and fix it but just to make them take notice, log it down and when a crew are free get them down to sort it out.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    It might be a bit different in Scotland. But in England, your local water board are liable for pipe work from source up to a few feet from the main supply to you. The rest is down to the owner of the property landlord/council/yourself.
  • Options
    Supposedly, the guy told my father, SCottish Water stop maintaining the pipes at the top of the street at the entrace to this housing are so they will not be touching it.

It does appear that the majority, a high majority, of this place are privatly owned so it looks like, if it works this way, these people will all have to pay at some point to get it fixed.

It's just silly that the water being fed to two blocks of houses is burst and no one is the least bit interested and it doesn't feel like there is a lot people can do about it even though they pay there taxes and whatnot.

The pipe that is burst also feeds the block before us, so even though the pipe that is burst is right outside our block they're going to have to pay for it, I bet they won't be half chuffed about that !
  • Options
    surely if the part of the pipe is only split at your dads and your nabours house those two people should have to pay for the repair?
  • Options
    it doesnt work like that i would assume becaise that one pipe feeds water to all at least TWO blocks of houses and because of the way they are built and for whatever other reasons whenever work needs done on these buildings everyone has to chip in and pay something, they all got a bill a few years back for work done to the roof that as it turns out wasn't even done properly, cost a hell of a lot of money too.

As it goes anyway, couple of days ago saw two plumbers outside when I left for work, they looked clueless, they could see the water flowing down the ramp but couldnt find the source even though the first Scottish water guy MARKED it on the pavement.

Well Scottish water came back out. The guy spent over two and a half hours using what looked like all the eqiptment he had in his van and as properly marked it out now so it looks like Scottish Water are after all going to dig it all up and fix it.

He came with another guy who didnt seem to work for Scottish Water but who game him access to our lock up, we're thinking someone from the council perhaps. They went down to the storage area beneath the building so that's good too because he can see the flooding that has happened. My dad mentioned to me it's well above ankle height too so it needs sorted fast.

Will have to wait and see what happens now though.
  • Options
    hiya edn1,

I have the exact same situation as you..
    We're in Glasgow, and wondered who the best people to contact were.Was there a particualr department that you got in touch with?

many thanks,

yogi